• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often can I use the "new car" kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often can I use the "new car" kit?

So I just bought a 2008 GMC Acadia, black pearlcoat. LOVE it! I want to keep it as shiny as the day I drove it off the lot. I have run it through a gas station car wash twice since I got it, about 2 weeks ago. It is not as shiny as when it came from the dealer.
    So, I bought the Meguier's "new car" kit yesterday from Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-...e-Kit/16386203
    How often can I wash my car with these products? Should the ultimate wax be applied after every wash or less often? can you wash your car too much?
    Thanks!

Re: How often can I use the "new car" kit?

It depends.
    The products in this package does not contain any abrasives so technically you can use them as often as you want.
    However, for many paint defects can be attributed to improper wash method. I think even the best of us make mistakes and term "love marks" has been coined.
    The less you touch your paint, reduces chance of these "love marks"
    I have worked on a friend's car that has never been detailed and although the car was absolutely filthy, surprisingly, the paint itself had only minor defects.

Having said that, IMO, once a week maintenance washes works well for me. As for UW, 3-4 times a year should really suffice pending normal conditions. However, if you are OCD like me and just can't seem to leave the car alone, once a month.
    Couple of things I would recommend is to clay your car as well and pick up some Ultimate Quik Wax to use after your maintenance wash.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Thanks for your response. So how do I prevent these "love marks"? I used to wash my cars by hand back when I was a teen before gas station washes so that has been over 20 years!

Comment

I have another question. I live in Wisconsin. We have about 6 months where hand washing is not possible. Do I just take it through the most expensive car wash at the gas station? The one I have been using now uses RainX as their protectant/wax. Thanks!

Comment

First, avoid automated car wash as if it was the bubonic plague. Second, if you want to do the job right, do it yourself which I assume is the reason why you have purchased the kit.

Without going to too much details, follow 3 key points.
          1. Use good quality products. You really can't go wrong with any of products from Meg's line as long you use them the way they were meant to be used.
          2. Work clean. Whatever touches you paint, inspect them often and make sure it is clean and free of debris.
          3. Be gentle and use lubricants whenever possible.

You create scratches when you use sub par products. IE, bath towels. Although absorbent, they are too rough for the modern clear coats which can scratch relatively easily. A soft, good quality microfiber towels should be used instead.
          If you rub and wipe with a dirty towel, that dirt and debris will scratch your paint. If you cant rinse them off clean, perhaps it is best to use a fresh new towel. There is no such thing as a scratch free material. Whether microfiber, sponge, foam or etc, given enough pressure and application, it will cause friction and abrade. One of the reason why I mentioned the Ultimate Quik Wax, its wonderful as a drying aid and will lubricate the surface while you are drying.

There are various methods that many subscribe to that can yield in the results you are looking for. IE, 2 bucket methods, Garry Dean method and etc. Do a search on this forum and find the method that works for you. You may even try a hybrid of these methods to tailor fit for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by jenaisme001 View Post
            I have another question. I live in Wisconsin. We have about 6 months where hand washing is not possible. Do I just take it through the most expensive car wash at the gas station? The one I have been using now uses RainX as their protectant/wax. Thanks!
            That's a bit difficult. Perhaps you can look into waterless wash options.
            You may want to also check to see if there are touchless car washes around your area. People have commented that the chemicals used in these washes are maybe too harsh but I imagine, it you have a good coat of wax and you wax regularly, it really should not be a problem as long as you do not allow them to towel dry your car.
            I am not familiar with RainX products other than what they are known for.... I didn't even know they made a wax.
            UW is a sealant or synthetic wax and will offer good durability during the winter months.

Comment

thanks for the info. Pretty much all the car washes here are touchless. I have only seen one that is not and definately would not go into that wash.
              My cars get extremely dirty due to the salt and sand they use on the roads here in the winter for melting the snow and ice so I would have to go through a car wash at least once every 2 weeks to get all that off of the car. I wonder if PDQ would be the best option?

Comment

I live in Northern Jersey and altho we do not get 6 months of winter, we are faced with salt.
                What I would do is go to a local self wash place and just their pressure washer to get all the heavy dirt off.
                Drive the car back to my garage and do a rinseless wash.

Not sure what a PDQ is...

Comment

So something like this?

PDQ is a car cleaning company. I thought it was everywhere. They wash the outside and the inside.

Comment

I appreciate you answering all my silly questions. I want to use the "new car" kit today to get my car nice and sparkling but the darn sun is out in full force. I should have done it this morning when it was overcast.

Comment

Yeah, washing by hand would be best.

I would like to add clay and then something like ColorX or White Wax, then the Ult. Wax, to really get a full detail.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks! I just finished washing it with the wash that came in the kit. It looks gorgeous! Took alot longer than I anticipated so I have run out of light so will have to finish it up with the Ultimate Wax in the morning.

Comment

When it gets really cold out, you could take two already filled or semi filled buckets (the 2 bucket wash method) to a DIY carwash. Use their sprayer to wet the car and loosen the dirt.Do your wheels separately with wheel cleaner and a brush/mitt, then wash the car using the 2 bucket method, rinse and dry with MF towel.

After that, you could then apply UQW to keep the shine. You could also if not too far, drive it home and finish up in a nice warm garage.
                          I Never Use Signatures.

Comment

Well I think when it's 30 degrees or less that will be just a tad too cold for me. LOL I think I'll just have to deal with a car that is not really sparkling in the winter. And our garage is not heated so it would only be about 10 degrees warmer than outside.
                            Here's another question.
                            I washed the towels and wax pad as directed in the new car kit. When I took the wax pad out it was still FULL of wax. Are these really supposed to be tossed after every use and not washed? I ended up washing it over and over again with hand soap in the sink to get out as much of the wax as I could then rewashed everything in the machine. I was afraid all my towels were full of wax since the pad was.
                            thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');