• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

winter chrome cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter chrome cleaning

hey guys,
    got a question. I have a '08 White Avalanche with factory chrome 22's. I know some people switch out their wheels during the winter to avoid the snow and salt on them. I only have one set(the ones that are on the truck now), what is the best way to avoid them from pitting and rusting out? This is also my daily driver so not using it is not an option...

Re: winter chrome cleaning

There's Meg's new Break Dust Barrier. It's an aerosol and doesn't lay very flat so your chrome won't look it's best. But it's cheap, easy to use and in the spring your going to polish them up anyways so it might be your ticket.
    Also a spray wax rocks to, spray and wipe clean. I use D156 Express Wax/Quick Wax is the same product.
    Some other companies make a dedicated wheel wax so that's another option.
    But you want to get something on there asap.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

I figure on top of a regular application of spray wax, wheel wax or brake dust barrier, a good wheel brush/ regular washing will pretty much prevent rusting
      "STRIFE" aka Phil
      2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
      2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
      2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

in order of effectiveness and protection, i like the following;

Opti-coat
        cquartz
        rejex
        collonite 476
        collonite 845
        carpro hydro2
        optimum opti seal

Comment

I had factory chromes on my GM and did all the protection application I could think of. Unfortunately the chrome started to flake around the rim where it contacts the tire. The result was leaky tires. First one, then two, and finally all four leaked to some degree or another. Wheels looked wonderful with all the care I took of them, but there is nothing one can do where the tire bead contacts the rim. It was a known issue on my car and some other GMs. Hope you have a better chrome job than mine.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');