• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Paint Cracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paint Cracking

Wondering if anyone has come across this issue before and can offer any advice.

Unfortunately I had a bump in my beloved Alfa Romeo GT in December last year.

Since then I've had an on going saga with the repairs, eventually my insurance agreed to let me nominate my own repairer to put the shoddy work right. At the same time I agreed a cash deal to respray my rear bumper (not part of accident)The damage on the rear bumper was merely stress fractures in the paint. The plastic wasn't split, or cracked.

After it was first resprayed a crack appeared within a week. The crack had jagged edges and was only paint deep. The body shop took it back in to redo the work. They pointed out that there was no crack in the plastic, but had no idea why this had happened to the paint. After they repaired it again, all looked good, until a couple of weeks later. The same problem again. same area of the bumper but not exactly the same place. Again the body shop agreed to put it right and booked me in for a the following week. When I dropped the car off I pointed out that the crack had got wider, I was able to get my finger nail into it. Still no closer to finding a reason but they stripped the bumper back to plastic, inspected it, found no cracks and did another respray. 3 weeks down the line cracks have appeared again. Same area again but not exactly the same place.

The body shop have now refused to fix it. They have said the bumper must be faulty, they will not attempt to fix it again, as they say its obviously going to keep happening.
    I understand their point, it's costing them time and money each time they redo it, with no end in sight.

Eventually they agreed that if I were to buy a new rear bumper (at my cost) they would spray it. However I can't spare the cash to buy a bumper (car is in for full cam belt service tomorrow) nor do I see why I should. As I can't see how this could be a fault with the bumper.

Has anyone got any idea what may be causing this?

Re: New Paint Cracking

Your photo links look like links to a site you have to sign into, and we can't see them. Post to your gallery/album here and then post those links.
    2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

I can't see the pics.. but in my opinion, the body shop more than likely did not use enough flex agent in the paint. Plastic parts need to have flex agent so the paintwork on those parts do not crack. I would try a different shop.
      Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
      Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

It's either flex agent, or the bumper is repaired or possibly even installed improperly. It might have a repair on the back side that is actually failing.

Or it's flexing too much from moving around. Make sure it's bolted up correctly or has the foam behind it to support it.

Comment

Hi All,

Sorry I have not been able to repost the images sooner.

Not sure if they are now working or not, but just in case, new links are below.

Comment

In reply to #3 and #4.

The bumper is very solid. There is no movement in the bumper on the vehicle. There are also no cracks in the bumper.

If you see in the second picture (links I have just reposted). You can see where the arrows are, how the cracks begin. They appear to be slowly working their way to the surface.

Since posting this thread here I've been advised on the Alfa Romeo forum I'm a member off, that it looks like silicone contamination on the bumper before the paint has been applied. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comment

looks like they did not use a flex paint

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                looks like they did not use a flex paint
                Agree here. Ask that shop outright if they added a flex agent to the paint. I see stress in one of the cracks

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');