• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time DA attempt help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time DA attempt help

Hello,

I recently purchased a Chicago Electric Dual Action 6" Polisher (http://www.harborfreight.com/6-varia...her-69924.html) because I just traded in my beloved C6 A6 for a B5.5 Passat GLX V6 4motion since we just had our first child and of course the expensive car had to go first (:

So the cars finish really wasn't terrible when I bought it, moderate spider webbing, clear coat scratches and there are a few deep ones that I know I won't be able to get out.

What I did:

Wash
    Clay
    UP+Polishing Pad
    Wax

Didn't see any results so I did UP+Cutting Pad, results were slightly noticeable, but still not what I wanted.

So then I used the UC+Cutting pad showed much better results in getting rid of the spider webbing, but I was not satisfied with how I was unable to get some scratches out (could not feel them with fingernail)

I could tell an obvious difference after the DA, but those little scratches were still there...

My questions:

I'm worried to try and go over it again, how many "passes" can you do to an area before you should worry about wrecking the paint/clear coat?

I start out with speed 2 to spread the compound around, then get it up to speed 5.5 - 6, should I be applying so much so that sometimes the pad stops spinning? I know its advised 10-15lbs but I really don't have a good way to judge that.

I also ran into an issue where I would start getting tiny speckles of compound flying everywhere... am I working the area to long? Not enough compound?

I also made the mistake of not letting it stop before I lifted it from the paint.... DOH

After I tested the trunk lid out I did my hood, in the picture you can see all these little white dots/speckles and its really hard to capture what they look like, but close up it's not chipped paint but it looks like its just very tiny indentations from rocks etc... is there a way to get rid of those?

Any help or tips for a first timer would be appreciated! Thanks

Re: First time DA attempt help

How many section passes have you done?

It is pretty typical that once you have cleared the swirls, you will be left some deeper ones called RIDS.
    You might want to give a bit more pressure and see how that goes. Also, are you cleaning the pad often? Caked pad with product will not be as efficient. Better option would be to change to a fresh pad.
    On the RIDS, you may want to try going with a smaller pad as they tend cut a little better and so that you can concentrate the cutting to a smaller area.

Unless you are dealing with super soft paint, I wouldn't worry too much about going at it again.
    When dealing with RIDS, check your paint often for heat and let it cool off before going back to it.

As for the indents... I would just learn to live with them.
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

My questions:

I'm worried to try and go over it again, how many "passes" can you do to an area before you should worry about wrecking the paint/clear coat?

I start out with speed 2 to spread the compound around, then get it up to speed 5.5 - 6, should I be applying so much so that sometimes the pad stops spinning? I know its advised 10-15lbs but I really don't have a good way to judge that.
      Well, want to back off to just before it stops spinning at speed. Did you put a black line on your pad to be able to see the spinning?

I also ran into an issue where I would start getting tiny speckles of compound flying everywhere... am I working the area to long? Not enough compound?
      Probably need to clean the pad on the fly more often with a towel.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The Good news is that every time you detail your ride, it will get better and better. For specs of compound going every where you applied too much..
        I usually prime the pad and use 3 pea size drops. I also mist the pad with quick detailer every so often when the product dries on the pad..

The pad should constantly be moving when doing correction. Your thumb will be able to apply enough pressure. Mark the backing plate with a marker as suggested above.

Here is a Famous junkman Video. This is the proper way to polish

Comment

Originally posted by C8N View Post
          How many section passes have you done?
          Ok I have to hijack here.
          In your brain what exactly is a "section pass" and a "pass"

A pass is a pass, left to right or up to down one pass as in "I passed the pad over the scratch once and it was gone"
          I did not sectionally pass over the scratch and it was gone"
          I want to put an end to the "sectional" c rap once and for all.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
            Ok I have to hijack here.
            In your brain what exactly is a "section pass"
            Just going with the flow

2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

You could have this issue and may have to just live with it. Mike Phillips has some good info.

Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 How do you guys approach these dents/pits when doing a customers car? I told him the same thing I told you. then

Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET Has the hood been repainted, if not, they are not solvent pop spots. This is were a seasoned and expert Paint Inst
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

I also made the mistake of not letting it stop before I lifted it from the paint.... DOH
                Sometime I'll need to start a debate about this to find out the pros and cons of a method of stopping a buffer. Starting a buffer up in the air will get compound all over you and all over the windows, trim and heaven knows where else.

I personally don't like stopping the buffer sitting on the paint. It does that herky-jerky vibrating stop and I didn't like that. I turn the buffer off and lift in one motion. Sometimes difficult to reach the switch on a Porter-Cable to do that, but on say a trigger switch buffer like the Flex you just let go of the trigger and lift.

Look at seven minutes twenty seconds in the Junkman video. Stop and lift one motion. I'm not saying right or wrong and I admire, respect and enjoy Junkman's videos. As shown earlier in the video, maybe stopping the buffer on the paint is the best way to learn "best practice" techniques.

wisc_fan - looks pretty good for first time!

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                David

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');