• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

alcohol wipedown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alcohol wipedown?

I have read about wiping with alcohol. What is the purpose? When do you do it? What strength? I know you can get 70 - 90 at the store and I can even swipe 99 from work. Stronger better? Thanks.

I can also get methanol also if that would be a better choice. Don't want to strip paint though.

Comment

Re: alcohol wipedown?

Be careful with methanol. It may be too strong for paint, but that should be the least of your concerns, it can cause blindness, make sure to wear protective stuff (gloves, goggles, etc.)

Comment

Christopher Brown | OCDCarCare Los Angeles - Auto Detailing Services & Training Courses
        OCDCarCare.com | FACEBOOK| Detailing Article Archive | INSTAGRAM
        2013 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, 2015 SEMA Car Crazy Corral

Comment

IPA Wipedowns are done to ensure that the surface is cleaned of all product residue (most commonly product oils from compounding and polishing) in order to do the final prep for an LSP (LAST STAGE PRODUCT) such as wax, sealant, or permanent coating

as far as dilution you won't ever need higher than 12.5% to remove paint surface contaminants.. make sure you mix it with distilled water as normal water will have minerals in it which are the nasty culprits for water spots

to mix using 70% .. mix 2oz alcohol : 14oz distilled water to make 16oz of 12.5% solution... multiply this number depending on total batch size and you're good to go
          Christopher Brown | OCDCarCare Los Angeles - Auto Detailing Services & Training Courses

Comment

One other purpose of the IPA wipe down, or other commercially available products, is to, as Christopher stated, remove product residue and thereby revealing any blemishes on the paint that might yet not been removed by your detailing efforts. While some products may contain "fillers", even if they don't, if not completely removed they will or can fill those nasty swirls you are trying to remove. Removing the products will reveal the swirls, making they easier to see and remove.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            David

Comment

Great point wif...

Its such a habit for me I forget to mention fillers and removing them ...

Comment

Are you sure about using the 70%? It too contains oils. I use IPA for ASTM testing and the 70% slews the results. If you're going through the effort to use it, might as well use the 97% or the 99%. They're all essentially the same price.

Comment

Please read this at your convenience for an opinion.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  David

Comment

So just to make sure

Wash
                    Clay
                    Compound (swirls aren't bad so maybe just polish, test spot will determine)
                    Polish
                    Ipa
                    Depending on inspecting compound/polish/lsp

More than likely majority or defects should be gone so more than likely just a polish MIGHT be needed.

Then I was planning to seal and then I bought some high dollar carnube to finish it off.

Comment

If you do an IPA wipe down after the polish, you need to polish again before the LSP.

The LSP is primarily for protection. Polish is for added shine. What compound and polish are you planning to use?
                      2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

I've got 105 205 uc and up. Going to test what is needed and responds best. Mf cutting and finishing pads and foam pads that are for compounding polishing and waxing. Probably will wax by hand though.

Comment

If you're happy after compounding, I would just polish and wax and skip the ipa and the repolish steps.

Good luck! Take some photos!
                          2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Comment

If you are using all meguiars products in your detail, you really do not need to do a ipa wipe down unless you want to inspect your work.
                            2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

The only reason to use an IPA wipedown is to "dry"out the paint to reveal defects. There is no need to use it for any other purpose.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');