• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used ScratchX 2.0 - tshirt okay? Follow-up waxing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used ScratchX 2.0 - tshirt okay? Follow-up waxing?

I had some light scratches down the length of my car from driving too close past a pile of brush. A guy at Napa recommended ScratchX 2.0 followed by a coat of wax to remedy the problem and said it'd be fine if I just used an old tshirt to apply the products. I made sure it was a 100% cotton tshirt, though I'm still concerned that it wasn't okay to use as an applicator. As far as I can see, it doesn't appear to have done any damage. I'm just wondering if there is any significant difference between using a 100% cotton tshirt and the 100% cotton terry towel that the site often recommends. I was thinking about going over with the ScratchX again since there are a few spots still visible, and I don't want to use the tshirt again if it's a really bad thing to use.

Furthermore, I'm not sure if I did the waxing correctly or not. The next morning, my car was covered in a layer of dew from the cold night, and you could see the areas where I'd used the ScratchX/wax because the dew stuck to them differently than the rest of my car. I'm not sure if this means I didn't get the wax on correctly, or if it's just a result of those areas having fresher wax on them than the rest of my car. I did notice that as I applied the wax (it was Turtle Wax), it tended to bead up in some spots where I'd used the ScratchX.

Re: Used ScratchX 2.0 - tshirt okay? Follow-up waxing?

I was thinking about going over with the ScratchX again since there are a few spots still visible, and I don't want to use the tshirt again if it's a really bad thing to use.
    Well, I tend to like a smooth foam applicator, but cotton is ok. Terry can be more agressive, and sometimes leave some marks of its own, so smooth cotton may be better.

How did you apply the wax then?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      How did you apply the wax then?
      I also used a cotton tshirt. I wet it with water and rung it out, since the Turtle Wax instructions suggested damp cloth, then used that to apply the liquid wax. I spread it over the ScratchX'ed areas somewhat generously, so it was a visible layer. I was reading the How-To section a bit and apparently this may have been too heavy of an application, though I didn't have any issues with rubbing it off once it was dry. As I mentioned, I did notice that in some spots where the ScratchX had been applied it was beading up instead of spreading over smoothly.

Comment

Yes. i think a foam applicator bad would be much more effective at evenly distributing and CONTROLLING the product you are using on the intended area...

AS far as towels.........just because something is 100% cotton doesnt meant its safe for car finishes...

As murr said terry cloth is 100% cotton but it does have a level of aggressiveness to it, by design, and can marr the paint... creating more marks on top of those you wished to remove.

Also Jeans are 100% cotton but NOBODY would wipe a car with them...

An old t shirt will work... but would you rather use something thats 100% safe for the paint??

Micro Fiber towels can be bought for cheap [i would say 350 gsm is fine] and will NEVER scratch your car. Unless you drop them and imbed dirt in the fibers, forget to take the tag off and/or dont wash them.. otherwise if you keep dedicated towels for paint a minimal investment will allow you to safely and effectively do all necessary jobs to your paints surface.

When using any product read the instructions. Then, if any doubt remains start with a small amount of product then adjust by adding. Its MUCH easier to add more product than to strip it away and waste.
        Christopher Brown | OCDCarCare Los Angeles - Auto Detailing Services & Training Courses
        OCDCarCare.com | FACEBOOK| Detailing Article Archive | INSTAGRAM
        2013 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, 2015 SEMA Car Crazy Corral

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');