• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clear-coat damage/etching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear-coat damage/etching

Hi guys,

I bought my car with some spots on the bonnet which I suspect were caused by bird poo. It's my understanding that nothing can be done about it short of a respray but I was wondering if you guys had any advice as to how I can make it look better? I've tried Ultimate Compound already.

I want to opti-coat the car as I'm too lazy to wax now hehe.

Here are the spots:

They're actually quite small and it was hard to take a picture of them but once you get up close you can clearly see them in the right light. Would damage to the clear-coat like this cause spreading?

Overall the paintwork of the car is okay so I might just skip fixing them and opti-coat if I can't do anything about these spots.

Re: Clear-coat damage/etching

This deep etching may need some sanding to be fully removed/ leveled. Ultimate Compound probably isn't aggressive enough. Just check your progress frequently as you can remove too much clear coat.

Comment

Thanks Greg! I was hoping it wouldn't come to that as that's out of my skill range so I might just leave it for now - can the damage spread at all?

Comment

It's not a clear coat failure so I doubt any spreading soon. How about a fine sandpaper (or sand block), like 3,000 grit, it would give you a good control and relatively slow clear coat removal. Also sanding mark removal should be easy. If you really want to leave it for now just use a gently polish on the affected area, like Deep Crystal Polish, M07 Show Car Glaze.

Comment

Oh right, the sandpaper doesn't sound too bad then. Would I have to reapply something to replace the removed clearcoat?

Would damage like this be right down to the paint level?

Comment

looks like it's a form of CC failure called fracturing.
            Try some 105 or the like on a mf towel and see if there is any change. if there is then it's etching and if not then it's CC failure

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');