• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car, what to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car, what to use?

My son is getting a new Black Scion T/C next week. What products does he are suggested to keep it looking new? We live in Florida so the sun is pretty tough on a car's finish along with many insects.

The dealer is recommending the application of perma plate finish but I wonder if it's worth $300 bucks.

I am not familiar with the perma plate finish but for 300 bucks you are better off acquiring the g-100, #80, detailing clay and either Nxt wax-polymer sealant to maintain your ride. By going this route, you have more control with the maintenance of your ride's finish and defect correction later on since no daily driver retains it's flawless finish during its life time.

If I were you, I'd clay it first then seal with either #20/#21 or NXt. And later on if those swirls are bothering you, #80 with the pc or scratch x by hand and then seal again. you need not worry maintaining your ride's finish again.
    Last edited by tinman2; May 1, 2005, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Hey rth95

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I tend to agree with Tinman2's post. Since it is a new car, I would suggest:

1. Meguiar's Quik Clay System to remove any bonded contaminents, rail dust etc.

2. If the paint has swirls, ScratchX by hand or #80 Speed Glaze with a G-100 Polisher and a W-8006 Polishing Pad. To be very honest, the G-100 Polisher is the way to go as it will make a huge difference in the paint finish!

3. Top with 2 coats of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. Make sure you are removing the product with high quality microfiber towels like Meg's Ultimate Wipes or their Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel.

Supreme Shine Microfiber

Good Luck and keep us posted!!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

curious

Why would he need to clay a new finish if after his inspecting it looks and feels good and their are no swirl marks.

What's the difference BTW. the 26 and 80 speed glaze for a polish.

What would be a good thread to link to for product information.

Regards,
        Frankie

Comment

For a new black car, the main thing is to minimize and hide swirls. If you machined polished it everytime you saw swirls you will drive yourself crazy. With that said, take good care in washing the car. Use soft sheepskin mitts and use the Meguiars grit guard in your wash bucket to trap the dirt at the bottom of your bucket so you're not washing with dirt. Use soft microfiber to dry the car. Clay is something I do maybe twice a year but you hopefully won't need it when it's brand new. NXT Tech Wax does a good job of filling in minor swirls on black and does leave a slipery feeling surface (more so than any other wax I've tried) that the bugs will have a tougher time sticking to. Permaplate or any of those dealer waxes are all gimicks to trick you into paying $300 for a $30 wax job, don't fall for it. Stay away from anything the finance man sells you, it's all scams. No matter how many times I tell peope this, they still come home with $50 alarms for $600, arghh! Their latest trick is to lower the interest rate as to cover what they sell you so it's free, it's not free, they artifically raise the rate and payment and then lower it to the real rate and payment to close the deal. I said no and they still lowered the rate, it's all bogus. Better yet, arrange your own financing online.

Some dealers will swirl the car for you when new as a dealer installed option. They do this at delivery when they have some flunky wash your car quickly as you close the deal. If the car has this dealer installed option, decline, make them either polish it swirl free like Scion intended from the factory or give you a different one, it's not acceptable that they damage a perfectly new car due to their haste.

After a while, come back to the forum and learn about how to polish the swirls that NXT Tech Wax can no longer hide.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; May 1, 2005, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ordered a NXT Generation starter kit along with Quick Clay detail system, GC bug & tar remover, and Ultimate Wipe 1 detailing cloth.

Comment

Re: curious

Originally posted by Frankie
              Why would he need to clay a new finish if after his inspecting it looks and feels good and their are no swirl marks.

What's the difference BTW. the 26 and 80 speed glaze for a polish.

What would be a good thread to link to for product information.

Regards,
              Frankie
              Hey,

Claying a car when new is the perfect time! Depending on how the car is being delivered to the dealer, (truck, train or a combination of both which is the case most of the time), contaminents such such as rail dust can adhere to the paint. Moreover, depending on how long the car has sat on the dealer's lot also will determine the degree of contaimination. Just because a car is new, does not mean that it is contaminent free; most of the time, the converse is true. One suggestion is that after washing and drying the car, take your hand and place it in a sandwich baggie and gently run your hand across the surface of the paint. The bag will sometimes magnify the bonded contaminents. I usually forget about the sandwich bag trick and just clay the car usually 2-3 times per year.

Meguiar's #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax and #80 Speed Glaze are vastly different products. The #26 is a blended wax with no ingredients intended for cleaning the paint. It is a Last Step Product (LSP) designed for the final step once the paint has been cleaned and polished.

Meg's #80 contains a cleaner, polish and a paintable polymer. It will remove swirls while adding a healthy dose of TS Oils to the finish. Generally, 2 coats of NXT Tech Wax or #26 should follow the use of #80.

As for product information, Meguiar's Online has a ton of info!! Just use the Search Function and you will find just about everything related to Meguiar's products!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Frankie

Thanks 2hotford

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');