• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tacky steering column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacky steering column

So I've been having this issue with my steering column. It has a tacky surface and Meguiar's QID doesn't help to clean it, if anything it'll get the surface feeling greasy and tacky. I've tried dawn soap and warm water to no avail and wiping with a microfiber actually leaves behind lint. What other solutions or methods could i attempt before calling it quits?

Re: Tacky steering column

I'd say APC.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      I'd say APC.
      +1 on the APC. A microfiber towel works nice. However, a brush will let you get more detailed.

Just dilute Meg's for interior.

Comment

clean it

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
          clean it
          I've attempted to, but the products i'm using aren't helping me resolve my issue.

Comment

Originally posted by PureArt View Post
            +1 on the APC. A microfiber towel works nice. However, a brush will let you get more detailed.

Just dilute Meg's for interior.
            Awesome I'll try that. I"ve read that meg's apc needs to be rinsed. Will spraying with water after the initial wipe down be enough?

Comment

I usually just spray on and wipe off without any sort of water rinse and haven't had any issues

Comment

Originally posted by h_bomm View Post
                I usually just spray on and wipe off without any sort of water rinse and haven't had any issues
                +1

The only time I would rinse it is if I used it to clean wheels and tires, although that is not my product of choice for that purpose

Comment

That steering column cover looks like the victim of a failed paint/coating system, most likely soft feel paint. I used enamel reducer to wipe off the tacky, gooey soft feel paint to expose a perfect black part underneath on my car recently. This is a common problem on air bag covers too. This has been showing up on everything from VW Beetles to F355's. Can you dig your fingernail into the surface?

Comment

Originally posted by goldduster360 View Post
                    That steering column cover looks like the victim of a failed paint/coating system, most likely soft feel paint. I used enamel reducer to wipe off the tacky, gooey soft feel paint to expose a perfect black part underneath on my car recently. This is a common problem on air bag covers too. This has been showing up on everything from VW Beetles to F355's. Can you dig your fingernail into the surface?
                    It doesn't seem like paint. It feels more like a textured plastic. There's no give when digging my nail into it. I'm starting to suspect it's too much QID that's caked on. Scrubbing with a brush builds up a residue that looks like adhesive.

Comment

Originally posted by poprokks View Post
                      It doesn't seem like paint. It feels more like a textured plastic. There's no give when digging my nail into it. I'm starting to suspect it's too much QID that's caked on. Scrubbing with a brush builds up a residue that looks like adhesive.
                      If it looks like adhesive, that is probably some type of plasticizer migration or oozing of the plastic. I have used bug and tar remover with success when it is that type of problem. Good luck with it, I know this is an aggravating problem when it crops up. I have not had luck with interior cleaning products on that type of sticky mess, they are designed to clean dirt and grime not broken down plastic.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');