• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Driver

My daily driver is a 2009 Black Cobalt. Nothing fancy whatsoever, but I want to keep it looking as clean as possible. For the past few years I have been negligent to my paint. To begin, I twice hand washed and dried the car section by section with a dish detergent soap to clear up all of the buildup and previous wax. Immediately after I used a Mother's clay bar/instant detailer on entire vehicle. I then rewashed/dried car with Meguiar's deep crystal wash this time. I then went around car on a spot by spot basis with Meguiar's clear coat safe rubbing compound to take care of anything clay bar didn't remove. Finally I finished my detail with 1 layer of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax - Paste. My results seem to be pretty good. I've realized that the "maintain" step discussed on this forum is very tedious when your car stays parked outside in wooded driveway like mine does. I have found limited information on the clear coat safe rubbing compound and the cleaner wax paste because they seem to be the 2nd tier products, but I had very good results doing this process completely by hand and intend on following the wash, clay bar, cleaner wax combination with occasional rubbing compound. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on my process or choice of products?

Re: Daily Driver

Use what works for you and use it often.

I would recommend getting some Ultimate Quick Detailer or M135 and using that as it's very slick.

That way as long as the surface is slick like that you could spray off the car quickly here and there and it will stay cleaner longer by doing that.

Ultimate Quick Detailer and Ultimate Quick Wax would go a long way to making your life easier in the long run.

Being that's it's a black car and they are a project in themselves and parked in a wooded area.

Comment

To begin, I twice hand washed and dried the car section by section with a dish detergent soap to clear up all of the buildup and previous wax.
      Really don't need dish soap, esp in the future now.

Immediately after I used a Mother's clay bar/instant detailer on entire vehicle. I then rewashed/dried car with Meguiar's deep crystal wash this time. I then went around car on a spot by spot basis with Meguiar's clear coat safe rubbing compound to take care of anything clay bar didn't remove. Finally I finished my detail with 1 layer of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax - Paste. My results seem to be pretty good.
      OK, good.

I've realized that the "maintain" step discussed on this forum is very tedious when your car stays parked outside in wooded driveway like mine does.
      Well, the 'maintain' step is more referring to what to do after washing. You could use the Ult. Quick Wax after washing/while drying to keep the wax coat lasting longer.
      I have found limited information on the clear coat safe rubbing compound and the cleaner wax paste because they seem to be the 2nd tier products, but I had very good results doing this process completely by hand and intend on following the wash, clay bar, cleaner wax combination with occasional rubbing compound. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions on my process or choice of products?
      As far as those steps and products, that was a fine approach.

As you noted, you could step up to some other products. I like to do a coat of Ult. Wax after using a cleaner/wax. You also may like to replace the Cleaner/Wax with a little stronger product, like ColorX, or maybe White Wax, and then followed up with the Ult. Wax.

But just up to you.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

A little different suggestion. Trying to keep a black daily driver that is parked outside in a wooded area will be terribly hard to maintain. You are right in trying to keep it as clean as possible. If you get a lot of tree sap, you will need to use clay or a solvent to remove it. For environmental crud, clay is your friend. Go easy on the compound. I suggest Ulitmate Compound rather than the Clear Coat Safe Compound. It's easy to use and usually doesn't leave much haze. Now for my opinion on the maintenance step....just use the cleaner/wax. It's a great product...easy on, easy off...and with a bit of practice I'll bet you can do your Cobalt in a half an hour. I'd aim for waxing it every six weeks or so. I know of folks who keep a can of wax, applicator, and microfiber polishing cloth close at hand and simply wax a part of their car after every wash. I have found that when waxing a car by hand, I can apply the paste wax a little faster then the liquid wax.

Mainly keep it simple and it doesn't get much more simple than regular applications of Meguiar's original cleaner/wax.

Comment

Thanks for all of your feedback. Based on your comments it sounds like I am on the right track. I am going to try the ultimate quik detailer between washes and reapply cleaner wax every 6 weeks or so. I will try a step up to other products once my current group runs out.

Comment

Highly recommend UQW while drying....
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Use quik detailer and quik wax in between washes. I alternate between the two.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                Highly recommend UQW while drying....
                UQW while drying? You do not dry first before applying UQW?

Comment

For a daily driver I would definitely switch from Megs Cleaner Wax to Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Liquid or Paste Wax. UP will bring out the gloss and shine and ULW or UPW will last much much longer than cleaner wax, 5-6 months. UQW will boost ULW/UPW and keep you protected until you can do a full wax again.Also recommend UQW when drying, dry with leaf blower or MF Waffle Weave drying towels. What I like to do is hit the car with leaf blower leaving some water on the paint and then take my drying towels spray some UQW on the panel and dampen the towels and then dry.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                  "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');