• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Wheel Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Wheel Cleaning

Being stuck with automatic washes this winter (touchless of course) my wheels never get completely clean and I'm in search of some type of waterless cleaner. What would be the best product to use on my chrome clad wheels?

Re: Winter Wheel Cleaning

First I would give them a good cleaning, then clay, then polish and then Megs UPW or ULW. These sealants will protect them and keep them from getting dirty. For a waterless wash I would use Megs WWWA to clean them with several soft MF towels.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

I just spray on a solution of ONR and some near retired MF towels...works great when done regularly, using a spray wax afterwards is my usual winter routine
      "STRIFE" aka Phil
      2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
      2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
      2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

You could also try cleaning them well then applying some Brake Dust Barrier to them. I would think that would help the touchless do a much better job of getting them clean. Not sure where in Wisconsin you are but we got about 6 inches here today in central MN and its on its way there!

Comment

Brake Dust Barrier would be a big help in getting dirt to run off easily.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll definitely have to get either of the two waterless washes mentioned and use UQW or brake dust barrier afterwards. How long does a coat of brake dust barrier typically last?

Comment

Originally posted by XtraPerformance View Post
              Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll definitely have to get either of the two waterless washes mentioned and use UQW or brake dust barrier afterwards. How long does a coat of brake dust barrier typically last?
              UQW will no last long on wheels, heat and brake dust will eat through it. Go with brake dust barrier or an ultimate paste wax. If you want the best protection, go with a coating.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
              "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

But my winter wheel routine of spray ONR and UQW/D156 takes me all of 5 mins....I do this once a week
                "STRIFE" aka Phil
                2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

Originally posted by STRIFE View Post
                  I just spray on a solution of O̶N̶R̶ :cough: D115 :cough: and some near retired MF towels...works great when done regularly, using a spray wax afterwards is my usual winter routine
                  Christopher Brown | OCDCarCare Los Angeles - Auto Detailing Services & Training Courses
                  OCDCarCare.com | FACEBOOK| Detailing Article Archive | INSTAGRAM
                  2013 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, 2015 SEMA Car Crazy Corral

Comment

Am I the only one that doesn't advocate spraying wax on wheels that are attached to the car? I wouldn't think wax and brakes mix!

Comment

Brake dust barier works really good to seal the wheels. That's what I use instead of a wax.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');