• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D114 as a clay lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D114 as a clay lube?

Since claying is propably my most favorite step in the polishing process, I was just wondering since the formula lubricates & encapsulates dirt in the rinse free wash @ 128:1 I'm thinking that this very well could be a great clay lube for it's lubricity that will lubricate the surface that is important in the claying process.

What I'm curious about is if D114 is ok for claying lubricity what will & could it do to the resin compound of the clay bar itself over time. Would it have any effect on the durability of the elasticity of the bar since your constantly kneading, rolling and stretching. After I use a claybar on a couple 2 or 3 vehicles (depending on condition of contamination itself) I always save in a different sealed container and reuse for glass, chrome/aluminum to get full benefit out of a piece before the elasticity is gone or heavily contaminated.

I've always used Last Touch 1:1 and have had great results but just trying to catch up on the last 2 years of being out of the scene and searching all the products meguiars has come out with and hopeful come spring be back on track with all the products and techniques out and start my ordering and stocking up on fresh products to use!
    ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
    You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
    Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Good question...I have also heard you can use soapy water as clay lube just to save a few bucks. As in...after you wash the car..use a mit with the soap on it get it soapy then use the clay...section at a time.

Comment

Re: D114 as a clay lube?

Originally posted by cleanspotdetailing View Post
      Good question...I have also heard you can use soapy water as clay lube just to save a few bucks. As in...after you wash the car..use a mit with the soap on it get it soapy then use the clay...section at a time.
      I don't know about that Idea or not, usually when I try to save money or on a short cut I always end up spending more money and time trying to fix what has got messed up or not up to par. Besides I don't like that ideal of reusing dirty wash water as a lubricant after trying so hard to keep swirls out of my paint or customers while using the 2 bucket wash with grit guards for my paint and then I have an oval bucket with grit guard for my rims and tires. I just don't want to think what a grain of sand/dirt that got in my clay bar would do to a soft paint job before I realized it.

Had that happen on a test hood years ago before I caught it, had to wet sand the whole thing to level out the entire hood. Sure glad it wasn't a customers car, just trying to save from using a new pad, had to use it any way. LOL!!!!

Know a couple body shops pretty good so I think I'll try to go get a red and black test hoods to try out the D114 as clay lube and start a thread with plenty of pics and have to charge up my xeon light. Might as well get back to the swing of things.

Thanks cleanspot.

Comment

Better to be safe then sorry. For sure. Bt of you ever want to see what I'm saying there is a dude who has you tube channel called AmmoNYC, he suggested it, even did a demo doing it...I mean he has a detailing business an all-but I'm with you on being safe not sorry.

Comment

This is the link. It may work....but it may be BS also...

Comment

Yeah I've seen some of his video's, Exotic cars that are pretty dusty. and this one, Myself and every detailer/polisher on here gets vehicles like this all the time.

I don't think much about him or his process, I don't see why his over priced detail products are any better then meguiars products. Plus the fact that he has a over size latex glove on rubbing across a hood of a dirty car letting us here how rough it is? Wash it and rub your bare hand across it and it's going to sound bad and feel rough.

And sticky clay is going to pick up everything just add some water with soap (not all soap has lubricity to it) so it will run across the surface. What about any dust or grains of sand, with out lubricity I'm sure he's adding more light scratches to have to remove.

Practice don't make perfect but perfect practice makes perfect that's what meguiars has been teaching all these years why not save yourself time and headache and get a detail spray to do the job right the first time!

Just my 2 cents

Comment

You ain't say nothing wrong my friend. I don't buy his products at all...but I do look at some of his techniques. I just thought it was interesting. I detail cars too...most that are down right horrible. And using some dirty soapy water would be a bad idea...I agree with you on that. But I am in search of a cheaper alternative that is as effective.

Comment

You ain't say nothing wrong my friend. I don't buy his products at all...but I do look at some of his techniques. I just thought it was interesting. I detail cars too...most that are down right horrible. And using some dirty soapy water would be a bad idea...I agree with you on that. But I am in search of a cheaper alternative that is as effective.
                What do you use now for clay lube?

I myself use Last Touch and dilute it 1:1 but thinking that D114 would be a great clay lube not to mention a couple other uses so I will be getting me a gallon of it and start doing some test and experiments and post my thoughts.

Comment

I actually use the megs quick detailer. The one that comesnwith the clay kit....seems to work pretty good.

Comment

I actually use the megs quick detailer. The one that comesnwith the clay kit....seems to work pretty good.
                    Nothing at all wrong with quick detail I'd be using it if wally world sold in gals. or at least 64 oz. size.

That's one of many reasons I like meguiars products over all the other brands of fancy bottles and designs, because you can get them locally and they just plain work and do the job right.

Comment

I am someone who uses wash water for a lube when I clay. First I wash the car without rinsing off the soap. Then I dip my clay bar into the clean soapy water (I used 2-bucket method) and clay the entire car. Then I rewash with clean soapy water and rinse off with hose. When done, my car is very clean.
                      Art Layton
                      2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Originally posted by DogParkGuy View Post
                        I am someone who uses wash water for a lube when I clay. First I wash the car without rinsing off the soap. Then I dip my clay bar into the clean soapy water (I used 2-bucket method) and clay the entire car. Then I rewash with clean soapy water and rinse off with hose. When done, my car is very clean.
                        Hey Dog, the only real problem I see with your process is that even though your using fresh clean soap water with your clay, your still rubbing your clay bar over and through your dirty soap water still on your vehicle that you haven't rinsed off and could and will have sand/dirt grains in the soap suds.

Think about it this way, a foam gun is for producing foam/soap suds and the foam or soap suds lift the dirt/grim off the surface of the paint and help in the aid in removing dirt/grim from the surface of your paint to keep from introducing swirls/scratches in your paint.

If your happy with your process and getting good results then by all means keep it up, you've found your technique but I would at least rinse off the surface good and have a smaller 3 gallon bucket with fresh soap solutions just for your claying lube. Remember though not to have to much lubricity in your soap solution or your clay will glide over the contaminants.

Comment

I use a spray bottle of cheap car shampoo mixed with water that adds a lot of lubricity. Never had one issue with scratches or marring from claying. You can't beat the cost per use. Now say if I was doing a Ferrari or something with super sensitive paint, I would obviously take every precaution necessary, but for every car I've done this method on, I have seen no drawbacks over detail spray, maybe it doesn't wipe up clean with a swipe of a towel, but you can just hose the car down at the end of the claying.
                          I usually just follow Dog's method there, but yeah usually I hose the car down first in the shade then without drying it just go over with the clay.
                          You should have no problems, but if you want to use detail stay, hey more power to ya! If it works well it works well.

Griffith Hawk

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');