• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the products, now I need the technique!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the products, now I need the technique!

Hello all! Over the past few months I've been building up my collection of Megs products as well as others...So far this is what I have accumulated..

1. NXT Wax
    2. NXT Spray Wax
    3. NXT Wash
    4. Scratch X
    5. DC Polish
    6. California Duster
    7. Absorber
    8. A huge pack of MF towels (16 towels)
    9. Ryobi Random Orbital Buffer 6in (4000 OPM non variable)

This may not seem much to some of you more seasoned detailers, but in my neck of the woods this took some time to get...as evinced by the fact that I was only able to find a Ryobi ROB as opposed to a more superior PC

But now I am in a pickle. I've got all the products (minus the clay bar system becuase I'm still hunting for a decent one) but now how do I apply them? My current method is:

1. Wash down with NXT
    2. Dry off with MF towel (Absorber is hard to use for some reason)
    3. Use Scratch X where necessary by hand then wipe it down
    4. Apply coat of DC Polish with buffer at 4000 OPM (with a non MF bonnet)
    5. Remove after 15 minutes with buffer (using a cotton bonnet)
    6. Apply and remove NXT wax using same method but with fresh bonnets.
    7. Then I sit back after what seems like an eternity to detail my car

I don't know if I should stick with my current method or just ditch the buffer for a more painful hand wax and polish...my hands pain just thinking about it ...

What do you guys suggest? I will definatly be washing my car this upcoming weekend and will post pics to show you what has happened....For some reason I think the buffer isn't up to par...

Thanks for any input!

EDIT: One more thing, where exactly is the main Megs store located in Irvine? I really want to stop by and pick up stuff that is not available around where I live, if thats even possible?
    Last edited by Legacy51; May 2, 2005, 06:11 PM.

Hi,
    Steps 1 to 3 are ok. Now applying DC polish at 4000 OPM seems a bit too fast but it won't hurt. Since DC polish is a pure polish, you don't need to treat it like a wax, meaning you don't need to let it dry before removing it ( you will have hard time removing it). Here is my suggestion, apply your polish in a area no bigger than 16"x16". Work the polish for a few minutes (1 or 2) without letting it dry with overlaping passes. Then remove it with a clean MF towel and move on to the next area.
    #6 step is ok. As long as you let the NXT wax to fully cure.
    Do the swipe test to see.

And #7 Yep you got it!, but I suggest with your favorite drink

As for ditching your Ryobi, don't do that since it save you time. Yes, it not a powerful machine, but you are not removing paint imperfections. So you are good until you want to step up.
    As for Meguiars' HQ in Irvine, they don't sell products on site since their main warehouse is in Tennesee. You can call customer service 1-800-347- 5700 to order their products. Or you can do a dealer seach from their website. Since you are in OC, you can try IRVINE CITY AUTO PARTS (14427 CULVER DRIVE). They have a good selection of Meguiars products like clay bars and some profesional products. They can order some stuffs for you if they don't have it on stock.
    Last edited by romulus; May 3, 2005, 08:47 AM.
    Life is a journey, enjoy the ride!

Comment

Re: Got the products, now I need the technique!

Originally posted by Legacy51
      This may not seem much to some of you more seasoned detailers, but in my neck of the woods this took some time to get...as evinced by the fact that I was only able to find a Ryobi ROB as opposed to a more superior PC
      The tools and product you have will give you great results if you take your time and and perform each process with skill.

But now I am in a pickle. I've got all the products (minus the clay bar system because I'm still hunting for a decent one) but now how do I apply them? My current method is:

1. Wash down with NXT
      2. Dry off with MF towel (Absorber is hard to use for some reason)
      3. Use Scratch X where necessary by hand then wipe it down
      4. Apply coat of DC Polish with buffer at 4000 OPM (with a non MF bonnet)
      5. Remove after 15 minutes with buffer (using a cotton bonnet)
      6. Apply and remove NXT wax using same method but with fresh bonnets.
      7. Then I sit back after what seems like an eternity to detail my car

If your car is parked outside even part-time, then chances are very good you'll need to clay the finish. This is a very important step as gloss comes from smoothness, and smoothness comes from having no contaminants bonded to the paint. So if possible, try to pick up a quality clay bar for use after washing.

Assuming you can obtain a clay bar, after claying your car's finish, you can either apply ScratchX to the entire car, or to just the areas that need attention. Three things to keep in mind,
      • 1. Paint cleaners like ScratchX need to be worked against the finish, not merely wiped on and then wiped off. Depending on how hard your car's paint is, how deep the defects you're trying to remove are, and your skill and ability to use the ScratchX to work them out, it may require more than one application of ScratchX and often times it will.
        2. ScratchX doesn't need to dry before removing. Allowing a paint cleaner to dry adds no benefit to the paint or the process. After you have worked the product against the finish until it has turned somewhat clear and oily looking, (hard to see on a white car), then remove it and move on or apply again.
        3. Your end-results, i.e. how great your work will look completely depends upon the paint cleaning step. Focus your time and energy on this step as it is the most important.

After the paint cleaning step, apply your polish by hand or by machine. At this step of the process, you don't need to spend as much time or effort into applying or working the polish into the finish. Basically, you want to apply a thin coat, work it in well, (about 2-3 passes over each square inch by hand or machine), and then move onto another section or panel. Like a paint cleaner, a pure polish like the Deep Crystal Polish doesn't need to dry before removing. Allowing a pure polish to dry adds no benefit to the paint or the process. You can apply and remove to one section at a time, or to the entire car at one time depending on you skill level. It's easiest to apply and remove section by section.

After you have applied and removed the polish to the entire car, then apply your wax. Like the polish, you want to apply a thin, even coating, working it in well, (about 2-3 passes over each square inch by hand or machine), and then move onto another section or panel.

Unlike the cleaning and polishing step, when applying Meguiar's waxes, you want to let them fully dry before removing. For most Meguiar's waxes in most average climates this is about 10-15 minutes or until the dried wax passes the The Swipe Test.

If possible, apply two thin coats in during your detailing session. Two thin coats produce a more uniform appearance and uniform protection.

After you wipe off the last coat of wax, stand back and admire your results.

How's that?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Sounds like a plan Mike.

Thanks for your input guys! Really helpful!

This weekend looks good to go as far as detailing goes, but with this wacky California weather who knows....

I will be definatly using the advice you guys gave, I just hope this time I can use my tools more effectively!

Again thank you for your information

Edit: On more thing...will my NXT wash strip away any wax I have on my car already? Because I want to sometimes use just the spray wax for touch up, but I'm scared that after a rinse in NXT wash all my other layers will be gone..
        Last edited by Legacy51; May 3, 2005, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');