• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Protection so I don't need Correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Protection so I don't need Correction

Hello all,

My car is only 1 year old and as such I'm very interested in keeping all parts of it as protected as possible. I live in Phoenix so I'm mostly concerned about the Sun and UV rays.

1) Most of the discussions with the DA Power System and the like, I've read seem to be about correcting problems (scratches, swirls, etc). Is there any downside to using the DA Power System? I have heard that mechanical buffers will wear down the clearcoat after repeated use. Currently I am applying Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Wax by hand. The wax isn't too bad but I find the polish a big pain to apply by hand.

2) What should I use to protect my headlights from yellowing. They are clear now (needs no repairs) and I'd like to keep them that way. An Amazon review of Headlight Protectant says: "its stained the clear plastic lens and has dried up (drying up happens immediately) to a dull glaze that it waterproof & no matter how much I try to take it off it does not come off." someone else said: " you dont need to use any chemicals for new headlights." and " your headlights have factory protectant and is going to be good for years"

3) What should I use on the glossy black plastic areas on the car? If your curious you can see it here between the front and back seat windows. (Click for bigger picture)

4) What should I use on the window rubber seals to protect from the sun, Ultimate Black?

Thank you very much.

Re: Looking for Protection so I don't need Correction

1) The amount of clearcoat you remove using a DA or the DA Power System (especially with UP as the liquid) is trivial... like microscopic. You could polish your car multiple time every year and still have plenty of CC left at the end of its life;

2) It's true that new headlights have UV protection built into the lenses. All you need to do is wax them just like you wax the rest of the car;

3) Those areas can actually be polished (if required) with a mild polish such as UP and/or waxed like the rest of the car;

4) Yes, UB would be a good choice.
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
      1) The amount of clearcoat you remove using a DA or the DA Power System (especially with UP as the liquid) is trivial... like microscopic. You could polish your car multiple time every year and still have plenty of CC left at the end of its life;

2) It's true that new headlights have UV protection built into the lenses. All you need to do is wax them just like you wax the rest of the car;

3) Those areas can actually be polished (if required) with a mild polish such as UP and/or waxed like the rest of the car;

Good info right here. A DA polisher is worth it. It makes maintaining your car that much easier. You may also want to consider a cleaner wax like white wax and take advantage of it's cleaning properties and then follow up with a longer lasting wax like ultimate wax or nxt 2.0.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Ultimate Liquid Wax is a great protectant, that can be used on paint, glass, head lights, tail lights, and rubber/plastic molding. On the other hand, Ultimate Paste Wax will stain molding.
        Welcome to MOL!

Comment

Thanks guys! I've been using Ultimate Liquid Wax so far to Wax the Paint, I've just been doing it by hand. I'll put it on everything else! I've been looking at the DA Power System, because the easier it is to Wash, Clay, Polish, Wax, the more often I'll do it

When would someone want to use the Headlight Protectant; on an older car?

Comment

Originally posted by zhackwyatt View Post

i would lean towards a yes on that. Eventually the UV protection from the factory will break down so you would want to put something on your headlights to help replace what has been lost. If you have to do any sort of headlight correction, weather it be using a product like Plast-x for mild oxidation or having to go as far as sanding for heavy oxidation, then it is pretty much a must to have to use the Headlight Protectant or it will haze up on you in no time. Can't really say "if you car is x amount of years old then you should be using a protectant" since there are a million variables as to when you should think about using it. You just have to kind of feel it out I guess. Sorry to be so vague but it shouldn't be something that you personally should have to worry about for quite some time

Comment

Originally posted by h_bomm View Post
              i would lean towards a yes on that. Eventually the UV protection from the factory will break down so you would want to put something on your headlights to help replace what has been lost. If you have to do any sort of headlight correction, weather it be using a product like Plast-x for mild oxidation or having to go as far as sanding for heavy oxidation, then it is pretty much a must to have to use the Headlight Protectant or it will haze up on you in no time. Can't really say "if you car is x amount of years old then you should be using a protectant" since there are a million variables as to when you should think about using it. You just have to kind of feel it out I guess. Sorry to be so vague but it shouldn't be something that you personally should have to worry about for quite some time
              Makes sense. Headlight protectant exists, so I was just trying to figure it out.

Comment

Well that depends. If the headlights have hazed due to the coating failing on them, then one would need to restore them prior to using a headlight protectant. Some may need just a slight cleaning and that's where plastx comes in. Some may need more work where sanding is involved and that is when the heavy duty kit comes in.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post

So If I don't need any correction, should I use UP with a yellow or black pad? Or is the only purpose of Ultimate Polish to remove fine swirl marks?

I've only 5 step'd once: Ultimate Wash & Wax, Clay, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Liquid Wax. I wash & wax, every quarter, and use UQD and UQS and UW&W Anywhere in between the quarterly's. If I switch from doing this by hand to doing this with a DA Power System, would that be too much on the vehicle?

Comment

So If I don't need any correction, should I use UP with a yellow or black pad? Or is the only purpose of Ultimate Polish to remove fine swirl marks?
                    You could use either. If you truly have no light swirls or defects, then you could use a black pad. However, I'd use a yellow pad just to give it that little bit extra bite. UP is very mild as is. It both removes light swirls, as well as polishes (as the name would suggest) the paint i.e. adds oils for depth and clarity.

I've only 5 step'd once: Ultimate Wash & Wax, Clay, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Liquid Wax. I wash & wax, every quarter, and use UQD and UQS and UW&W Anywhere in between the quarterly's. If I switch from doing this by hand to doing this with a DA Power System, would that be too much on the vehicle?
                    No, not at all...
                    Originally posted by Blueline
                    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');