• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with two grimy cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with two grimy cars

I recently got stationed in Okinawa, Japan. I bought two cheap cars for us to drive while we are here and they are in pretty rough shape. Unfortunately I left my G100 in storage back in the States and all of my detailing supplies either were given away or stored. So, I'm looking for what I can use working by hand to get these cars looking better.

My plan, so far, is:
    1. A good scrubbing
    2. Clay bar
    3. ?
    4. ?

Need help with the question marks....

Re: Help with two grimy cars

Well you are certainly on the right track with a wash and clay bar. Not sure what you have available in Japan but from what you describe Ultimate Compound is definitely in order here. Obviously it will be more work than if you had your buffer. Then you can either go for Ultimate Polish or go right to waxing after UC. Again, UP will be more work, especially by hand so it's really up to you if you choose to use it or not. Maybe you can look into at least renting a buffer to help speed things along. Hope I've helped out a little and thanks for your service!

Comment

Thank you for your service, much appreciated

You still have your 62' Buick, nice looking car!

Do yo have pics of your 2 cars, would they be single stage or clear coat paint?

And what type of clay have you got, is there any Ultimat Compound, utlimate polish, M105, m205 , colorX there?
      ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
      You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
      Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

clay and spray. Quick Wax on everything. Windows, trim, rims, done.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I'm assuming the cars have a clear coat....but it is hard tell with how filthy they are. I'll take some pics tomorrow (its night time here now). Tomorrow I plan on doing a good scrubbing of my car (because it is the smallest) to get a better idea of what I am working with. There isn't too much available (as far as Meguiars products go) here on Okinawa, basically everything available on base is what you can find at Walmart, just a smaller selection. Off base, everything is in Japanese (duh) and doesn't look like anything I am familiar with. I can get a clay bar kit with the Meguiars cleaner wax and some Gold Class on base. Amazon delivers pretty quickly (about 2 weeks), so ordering is a possibility.

I currently have some Turtle Wax cleaner wax that a friend left with me when he left the island, so I may try that tomorrow also just out of curiosity. I only paid $3500 total for the two cars, so they are not pretty, but run good and I'm only here for three years. I would just like to have my two white cars look white and not gray...a little shine would be nice too.

I still have the '62 Buick (stored safely in my brother-in-law's extra garage. My wife's old minivan got replaced with a newer one a while back and is safely in government storage. My Silverado got sold...I miss how the dark red looked when it was detailed.

Comment

Here's a great explaining on what finish you may have.

OK since you have the same things wal-mart has? Then I would get the smooth surface clay kit/ Ultimate cleaner/ Ultimate Polish and I haven't tried Ultimate wax so go for the NXT tech wax 2.0. This will be necessary to get your white as clean as you can by hand just longer and bring back the gloss and shine!

I would also get a tube of white wax and/or colorX (both AIO) & get a can of Meguiars cleaner/wax (I know you have a can of turtle wax, BUT!!)if possible for the maintaining step to do every couple months or so to keep your paint looking it's best! And many hand applicators and micro fiber towels. (I do prefer the foam hand applicators over the micro fimer applicators for the cleaning step)

Since your going to be stationed there for another 3 years, can you have some one get your G100 out of storge and send it and what supplies you have to you? Or I would purchase another DA kit with the backing plate for the 5.5'' pads and a 6 pk of 5.5'' Lake Country LLC pads (my choice for pads)

I think when you get finished you will have the 2 best paint finishes of all the cars around!

Comment

Originally posted by stang_krazy View Post
                Since your going to be stationed there for another 3 years, can you have some one get your G100 out of storge and send it and what supplies you have to you? Or I would purchase another DA kit
                Good thinking Stang! Do you have American style plug ins there or do they have adapters you can get a hold of? I assume since you're on base you have American plug ins.

Comment

I wish it was that easy to get the G100 out of storage. Unfortunately, because we are on a weight restricted tour, the government contracted movers to pack up most of our stuff (we were limited to a little over 3000 pounds coming here, for a family of 5), which then got crated up and is stored at some government contracted warehouse. So, I don't have access to it until we return to the States. I may have to consider getting another DA kit...hmmm.

Anyway, I washed the Duet this morning. It looks a little better, and much whiter, but there is dirt that wouldn't wash off. I tried the Turtle Wax cleaner wax, because I had it, out of curiosity, and with a lot of elbow grease it helped some. However, it didn't help much and was way more effort than I really want to put into this car. I need something more aggressive. Tomorrow I'll be down at the base that carries car care supplies to see what they have. I definitely need clay, and I am thinking about ordering some Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish, since I don't remember seeing it anywhere on base.

Here are a couple of pics...what do you all think? The first pic is before washing...all that dirt came off. The other two are after washing. The second pic shows the road grime that was left after washing that the cleaner wax barely touched. On the third pic you can see, especially on the front bumper corner where a previous owner tried to touch up some scuffs with a rattle can.

Comment

Hey buddy,

I know pics can look worse then they are or look better then they actually are, but in your case they look OK, fixable.

Clay and UC for the 2nd pic and try the UC on the paint over spray on bumber, may have to apply several applications with some passion behind the pad (where have I heard that one, LOL) But you don't want to remove it all just sort of the runs and blend it in so it's not as noticable.

If your going to buy another DA look at getting the G110V2 and a kit that offers a pad deal.

Comment

Are those white cars single stage paint? My 2004 tacoma and 1993 camry are single stage "super white." White paint is very forgiving because swirls are harder to notice. I cleaned my single stage white paint by hand one section one day at a time by Adapting to my Okinawan neighbor's philosophy of patience. Thank you for your service.

Comment

Well, the good thing with these cars is they are in rough enough shape that any significant improvement will be very noticeable. I'm looking forward to it because I have never worked on anything as rough as these. I'm just missing my G100

Comment

Just a quick update....I have ordered a Smooth Surface clay kit, Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, NXT wax, and some foam applicators. Ordered from Amazon which usually takes about two weeks to arrive...now I just have to be patient.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');