• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q:How to protect chrome rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q:How to protect chrome rims

Hello
    I would like advice on chrome wheel protection to fight brake dust. I know there are opti-coats out there but I am looking for a good wax or sealant.
    I wash regularly but concerned about the barrels going bad..
    On my shelf, I have:
    M26
    M21
    NXT 2.0
    DP carnauba

So I dont know if these are good for wheels due to the heat generated from braking.

Would Finish Kare 1000P Hi-Temp Paste Wax be a good choice as it is for high temps?
    Then of course there is Wheel Wax but there again I know nothing about it.

AG has a discount running this weekend, so I want to place and order soon as possible.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
    2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Re: Q:How to protect chrome rims

Sealant would be longer lasting than wax, and IMO one sealant is as good as another on wheels.

Comment

I like the Brake Dust Barrier.... but not sure if it is quite as 'clear/reflective' for nice shiny chrome...
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        I like the Brake Dust Barrier.... but not sure if it is quite as 'clear/reflective' for nice shiny chrome...
        I have had good success on using brake dust barrier on chrome. If anything some NXT or M21 would be fine as well. A once a month application would be my best estimate but you can judge the beading and sheeting to see if it is still on the wheels.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I've used M21 and UW on chrome wheels with good results & no issues..
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Guys
            Thank you for your advice. I'll give M21 a try since i already have it. I do clean the car weekly and dont drive much. M21 should last me a while.

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

A good set of brake pads will reduce if not eliminate brake dust.

Comment

spray wax works great on rims. all my details get 156 on the rims

DetailingByM.com

Comment

My main concern is protecting the barrels from brake dust and corrosion. A sealant has been recommended.
                  I have the following
                  D156
                  D157
                  NXT
                  M26
                  M21
                  GC+
                  Mothers cali gold carnauba
                  Collinite 915

I know i have an addiction

2001 C5 Corvette - Black

Comment

You could try brake dust barrier on the barrels. Or if you want something permanent you should consider a coating like opti-coat.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

d156

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by gclark26 View Post
                        My main concern is protecting the barrels from brake dust and corrosion. A sealant has been recommended.
                        I have the following
                        D156
                        D157
                        NXT
                        M26
                        M21
                        GC+
                        Mothers cali gold carnauba
                        Collinite 915

I know i have an addiction
                        Out of that list, NXT/M21 or Collinite would be the most durable.
                        Originally posted by Blueline
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');