• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad to use ultimate compound without wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad to use ultimate compound without wax?

Basically I use a bit of ultimate compound (just to test it out)on a small spot. It's the best thing I've ever seen. It's black car and I had to order online for the ultimate polish and wax. They did not have those in stock at my local stores. I do plan to polish and wax but I am anxious to use the ultimate compound. Would it be bad if I use ultimate compound now and use polish/wax a week later? Also, I would be doing this by hand..

Re: Is it bad to use ultimate compound without wax?

By hand will be a lot of work, but people do it all the time. Heck, some even prefer to do it by hand. It is kind of a big job to tackle in one day so I've seen it suggested many times to work a panel or two a day so you don't burn yourself out. So in a round about way, no, there is nothing wrong with compounding your car and waxing it later. Maybe you would want to wash it before applying wax. Also, have you clayed it yet? If not I highly suggest getting the Smooth Surface Clay Kit to remove any bonded contaminants that washing alone can't remove

Comment

I'm surprised your local stores didn't have ultimate polish or ultimate wax. I see them at every store and even at walmart in my area. I do agree that ultimate compound is a great product. If it were me I would wait until I had everything in hand as I don't like to leave the surface unprotected. But I don't see an issue with you compounding the rest of the car then coming back with ultimate polish and ultimate wax. It will take some time doing this by hand but well worth it.

I have to be sure, but you are claying the car before you are using ultimate compound?
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

First off. I would like to thank you guys for responding! I'm new to this so I apologize if I sound like a real idiot.

Yes, I definitely plan to clay. I haven't done anything yet. I am just wondering if its okay to wait between ultimate compound and polishing/wax. It just feel like it would be exposed after ultimate compound. Would I have to clay again if I plan to polish/wax later?

Comment

You should not need to clay after you do it once. It's not like you are going a long period of time before compounding and polishing/waxing and allowing surface contaminants to build up. A good wash before you apply the polish and wax would be all you need.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');