• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car, lots of environmental impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car, lots of environmental impact

Posted this on a thread started by someone else but didn't get any answers.

Perhaps this is a better way to get a response.

Hi All!

As I posted in my intro post, just purchased a silver 2013 Hyundai Accent hatchback.

Love the car, great mileage, cool styling, awesome bells and whistles.

A bit of background:

I commute from Reno NV (4500 ft elevation) to Truckee CA (5800 ft elevation, central Sierra Nevada mountains) along I-80, through sagebrush and mixed conifer forest, approximately 40 miles one way. Parking at my workplace is open to the elements and significant sun exposure, tree sap, road dust and varnish overspray from material sprayed to maintain wooden office buildings nearby.

Normally, the region receives significant winter precipitation (rain, sleet, snow), and highway maintenance includes application of traction compounds (sand, volcanic pumice and low salt concentrations) during the winter months.

This winter has been mild, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

I would like to keep this vehicle looking as good as possible considering these conditions.

Another complication: I have covered parking at my apartment complex, but no facilities for hand washing. I use an automatic car wash nearby for basic wash (they use a Turtle Wax formulation in the wash bay).

I'd like some advice on the correct product mix to keep the paint on the car, and looking as good as it possibly can look.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

bdd
    2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Re: New car, lots of environmental impact

If the automatic wash is not touchless, you will be fighting a losing battle. The touch type car washes are a no no if you want to keep it swirl and scratch free.
    You should clay it first. As for products, we all have our favorites. I will let everyone else, perhaps the more experienced than I, chime in on that.

Comment

DAMF System and a g100

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Professional painters getting varnish on your car might be liable for clean-up. You might want to buy a good safe car cover for protection at work. A hand self spray wash like THE WAVE, found on google, might be better (good, safe neighborhood? close by?).

Comment

I agree with blueline and avoid those car washes. You are better off going to a coin op and then foolow up with a rinseless/waterless wash (ultimate wash & wax anywhere, D114, D114). Ultimate wax is very durable and the longest lasting wax offered by meguiar's. Using ultimate quik wax and ultimate quik detailer as maintenance aids. You might want to have the car coated with a permanent coating such as opti-coat.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Appreciate the comments about the car wash.

I'm more concerned with scratches created when semi-trucks splash road salt on the finish when they pass me.

At any rate, did the auto wash, followed with clay treatment, then Ultimate Polish and Gold Class Caranauba Plus.

Car looked nice for exactly 7 hours, then drenched by a torrential rainstorm.

We'll see how it comes out after the sun returns.
            2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Give it a quick wash and follow up with a detail spray like ultimate quik detailer. That should being back the shine. Have thought about having and invisible bra installed say from x-pel. Might be a way to go to protect the front end of the car from chips.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                Give it a quick wash and follow up with a detail spray like ultimate quik detailer. That should being back the shine. Have thought about having and invisible bra installed say from x-pel. Might be a way to go to protect the front end of the car from chips.
                Great ideas, I actually used quik detailer today when the sun came out (amazing how much dirt is in rainwater).

Noticed some light chipping on the nose today--a clear bra makes the most sense to me.

Thanks.

Farther up this thread you mentioned Opti-Coat. What is it, will it hurt the paint, what's the cost, etc etc etc?

Comment

Opti-coat 2.0 is a permanent coating on the car. It is used instead of a wax or sealant once the car's paint has been corrected. All you would need to do from there on is wash the car the proper way and there is no need to wax anymore. It's pretty durable. There are detailers that can do it for you. I don't know the cost.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');