• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Compound on Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Compound on Corvette

Hi everyone This is very similar to my last post but does anyone have any experience with Ultimate Compound on Corvettes? I understand the clear coat is generally pretty hard on vettes and just wanted a little insight on anyone's experiences. Thanks guys.

Re: Ultimate Compound on Corvette

What year Vette is it again? That could greatly change things...
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Comment

My 02 Camaro SS and my dad's 02 Camaro Z28 have hard clear coat. I tried UC on a lake country orange cutting pad and it cleaned up the paint but it would not touch the deeper defects in the paint. I then moved to M105 on an orange lake country pad and that was working the same as UC but just a little better. The pad and compound that worked the best was D300 and a microfiber cutting disk. Took care of all the deeper scratches and swirls that M105 or UC could not remove. After that I followed up with M205 on a white lake country polishing pad to refine the finish.

It would be worth a try to give UC a shot. Your paint may react good to it. As stated in your other post a test spot with the least aggressive product will tell you what you really need to use.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

The Guz, thank you again for your input on this topic. I appreciate all the information you have shared and I hope that it doesn't sound as though I'm just looking for a particular answer. I think what it all boils down to, is that I just have an underlying fear of messing up, being that I'm new. I've not worked with compound before and/or polish and this will be my first attempt at using a DA polisher. I have always tried to take excellent care of my cars but have only applied wax by hand and have never attempted paint correction. I am grateful that I have found this forum and that everyone is so willing to share their experience and offer ideas/advice. Thanks again

Comment

DA and UC combo is very safe... not to say you cannot do damage but it would be difficult to do.
            Only way you are going to damage your paint is by holding the DA in the same position for an extended period of time with heavy pressure.... or the other way would be that you can simply use the DA as a hammer.
            I can understand that for a beginner and working on a nice car as yours, it can be nerve wrecking. But think about it, its working on a foam pad. How much damage can foam really do? Run the DA at the highest speed and run it over your hand. Might be uncomfortable but it will not break skin. If it cannot break skins, how much damage do you think it can do on paint? As long as you work clean, you will be ok.

If you really want to play it safe, check the finish for heat from time to time. If the surface gets too hot, let it cool down a bit before working in that area again.
            Regardless, you should be checking your work often so that you do not take off more clear than needed. Once you get the hang of it, you will know how many passes and how much pressure is needed to correct your paint.
            2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Wow! Excellent input C8N. I thank you very much for your time and for helping put me at ease about the art of detailing.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');