• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exterior rubber protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior rubber protection

Hi all, I'm looking for a best-protection product Meg's has to offer for exterior rubber seals/trim. I've got a 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ that's my baby and it still has nice, soft, pliable rubber around all the windows and I'm looking to keep it that way for as long as possible. I'm not concerned about shine; just protection from the Arizona desert sun. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Exterior rubber protection

I use Ultimate Protectant for my plastic and rubber trims.

Comment

Look into ultimate black. It works well. A good tip to using it is that you want to make sure the surface is clean. Some D101 APC (all purpose cleaner) is a good way to prep the surface. Then apply a small amount onto a foam applicator and work it in to the trim. Let it sit for a few minutes and follow up with a light buff to remove any excess product.

99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

There was a debate in this forum a few months ago about if Ultimate Protectant and Ultimate Balck are the same products. Regardless, either product will work for you.

Agreed to Guz. Surface has to be cleaned thoroughly before you apply the product. With he lack of APC, I just use regular household cleaning product, whatever I can find in he kitchen. I was so amazed when UP revived my 9 years old windshield cowl.

Comment

Thank you both. I do have some APC so I will use it and give the UP a try. It's relatively cheap so what have I got to lose, right? I know there are a significant amount of posts re: this subject but I noticed that the majority of the responses are from users in colder & wetter climates and the products relationship with plastic(s) but, I'm not concerned with that in the desert. Just need the UV protection more than anything.

Thanks again.

Comment

Both products are very close. In fact I have used both and they both smell the same. In my experience either gets the job done as long as the surface is prepped right. Also from experience, here in Southern California we are experiencing a drought. So it's been very dry. Based on this I used ultimate black on the front cowl of my daily driver and it's lasted 1 month and 1 week. I had cleaned the trim with D103 APC+ and applied ultimate black to it. It still beads and sheets water really well when I wash the car. The last time it rained was sometime in April and it survived that rain. So with that I think it will last a long time for you as well considering where you are located. Post some before and after photos so we can see the transformation.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');