• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Meguiars have a comparable product to Poor Boys Black Hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Meguiars have a comparable product to Poor Boys Black Hole?

Does Meguiars have a comparable product to Poor Boys Black Hole?

I have a black car and want to squeeze every last drop of shine from the paint.

I have heard PB - BH is good on black paint.
    I've never used PB- BH so I dont know if its really that good or just hype.

Your thoughts are welcome.
    Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
    2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Re: Does Meguiars have a comparable product to Poor Boys Black Hole?

M7 Show car glaze is the defacto standard when it comes to glazes. Glazes are typically more beneficial on single stage paints that can absorb the high oil content of the glaze.

I have some PB Black Hole, and it is much easier to remove than M7. However, on my single stage paint, I find a light polish with M205 and a finishing pad (very little to no cut) topped with Ultimate Paste Wax, my car looks much darker compared to Black Hole topped with Ultimate Paste Wax. I also find the Black Hole takes away from the highly polished clarity of my paint. It is faint, but I can see it. The reflections are just a bit less crisp.

Another test I did was to apply Black Hole topped with Ultimate Paste Wax on half of the hood, and Meguiars Black Wax on the other. The Black Wax side was noticeably darker. Black Wax might be the easiest wax I have ever used. I really like to apply Black Wax and top with UPW. This gives me the tremendous glow of a caranuba wax with the polishing oils, topped with the highly durable Ultimate wax, which has a very high glassy gloss to it.

If you are not familiar with Black Wax, it is a AIO, which cleans, polishes, and protects. I would go this route over a glaze any day on a daily driver, simply due to the ease of use, and I much prefer the look as well.

I like you have tried numerous products to make my car look perfect, and I have yet to find any product that is as good as Black Wax, Ultimate Paste Wax, and M205. These products work very well together, and each has a very nice darkening effect on the paint while maintaining that near perfect clarity I have worked so hard for. There may be other products that are marginally better than those I have listed, but usually they are 2-3x the price, and are not available by driving down to my local auto parts store. Keep in mind that Meguiars has resources and an R&D department that most manufacturers can only dream of, not to mention they have been doing this stuff for a century.

Comment

Tiss' er
      Thank you for a great reply. I didnt know PB BH Is a AIO. I've used D151 on cars and pleased with the results. I dont need a AIO on my cars. Would much rather use M205 or UP. I am toying with the idea of using M3 on black paint because it has less cut than M205. . M7 is too much work. I am glad I asked and now know better.
      Extreme Radiance Detailing

2001 C5 Corvette - Black
      2010 LT2 Camaro - Victory Red

Comment

Originally posted by gclark26 View Post
        Tiss' er
        Thank you for a great reply. I didnt know PB BH Is a AIO. I've used D151 on cars and pleased with the results. I dont need a AIO on my cars. Would much rather use M205 or UP. I am toying with the idea of using M3 on black paint because it has less cut than M205. . M7 is too much work. I am glad I asked and now know better.
        PB BH is actually a glaze, sorry if my post was confusing. It does has a bit of chemical cleaning ability, but it has no abrasives, and it offers no protection. It does offer a bit of filling, but so does Black Wax, which also offers polishing oils and protection.

I also find, on my car anyway, that M205 offers more darkening than UP. M205 is gold on my Lexus.

Comment

As far as a pure gloss enhancer, PB Black Hole is tough to beat and until I find something better, it will always be on my shelf. I'm in the middle of my spring freshen-up on my El Camino, which involves multiple hand apps of M07 with overnight soaks, followed by polishing with M80. M80 on a yellow pad leaves some very subtle hazing on my old SS paint, but BH clears it all up, ready for my LSP of choice. M07 is absolutely killer as a finishing glaze, but takes a lot of effort to apply by hand, so by the time I'm approaching my final steps, BH by machine does the job with minimal effort.

Bill

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');