• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car! Paint needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car! Paint needs help!

Hey guys! Im now the proud owner of a 89 Camaro RS w/ 305 TBI, Automatic with only 97k miles on it! This thing is amazing! No rust and the interior is mint mint mint!

Theres always a but. Well this had a crappy one stage paint job done to it which i cant blame them too bad i wouldnt be able to afford a good one myself. Well it has a lot of imperfections, but i think with some work i can make it from a 5/10 to 8 or 9/10.

First off im wet sanding with some 2000 grit to remove the orange peel, and theres also some hazing and wrinkles etc. which i think can also be removed by sanding and buffing. What i really need help with is the large chips missing in the paint. Luckily since it was a one stage there is black original paint underneath! Can I beldn the two?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. If i can fix this paint itll be a show car for sure!

Re: New car! Paint needs help!

Nice 3rd gen. Looks like the car has signs of clear coat failure from that last photo. If it is the only fix is a repaint.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I does look like failute but its actually a really crappy paint job and the paint had a reaction when sprayed and came out like that. The clear coat is solid and not peeling. Its very rough when you run your hand across it. Im thinking wet sand and buff.

Comment

Looks like they laid it on really dry on the last coat

Comment

I think thats exactly what happened.

Comment

I'm confused. In your original post you say the paint is one stage, by which I presume you mean a single stage, non clear coated paint, but in your subsequent post you say the clear coat is solid and not peeling.

Which type of paint is it that you have?

Btw, interior looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by Selectchoice View Post
              I'm confused. In your original post you say the paint is one stage, by which I presume you mean a single stage, non clear coated paint, but in your subsequent post you say the clear coat is solid and not peeling.

Which type of paint is it that you have?

Btw, interior looks great!
              More of a figure of speach sorry to confuse. I meant it looked like a quick paint job scuff tje surface paint over.

Comment

Oh okay...

It does look like a clear coat failure of some type from your picture. There's more than one cause of failure and rough to the touch like you describe doesn't sound great.

Maybe it's just the pic you posted that looks that way, and I hope that's the case for you and it's not failing.

Have you wet sanded before?

Comment

Oh okay...

It does look like a clear coat failure of some type from your picture. There's more than one cause of failure and rough to the touch like you describe doesn't sound great.

Maybe it's just the pic you posted that looks that way, and I hope that's the case for you and it's not failing.

Have you wet sanded before?
                  Yes. I paint, wet sand and i run a side business detailing. If you look at my avatar that is actually a work truck that i wet sanded and buffed. I used 1000, 2000, 3000 and ultimate compound with a DA. I already wet sanded and buffed the quarter panel which came out like new as expected. The quarter panel was only suffering from some bad orange peel. Im just a little worried when i get to these rough spots that i WILL get clear coat failure.

Comment

Yeah it's always hard to know what you're dealing with when you either haven't painted it yourself or you can't talk to the person who did to find out how they painted it.

Good luck with this one. Hope it works out really well for you.

Comment

Yeah it's always hard to know what you're dealing with when you either haven't painted it yourself or you can't talk to the person who did to find out how they painted it.

Good luck with this one. Hope it works out really well for you.
                      Thanks man. I just dove right in this morning. I figure it looks like **** already so any harm done wouldnt be much of a step backward. So far so good however these are the better of the patches and i pretty much just made them a lot less noticeable which is fine with me. Being a 25 year old car imperfect paint is surely forgivable. Heres some pics:

Wet sanded with 2000/3000 using cross hatch method:

Buffed with medium cut pad (blue) with a DA Polisher on 4, with Ultimate compound, topped with ultimate polish, then sealed with NXT Wax:

This is what the rough spot now looks like. Basically tiny little pits in the paint. Much better than before:

And this is the right side of the hood untouched for a before picture:

Comment

Great work - huge improvement!
                        Originally posted by Blueline
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Looks like you made great progress!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');