• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debadging/Messed Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debadging/Messed Up

Hey Everyone:
    Hope your all doin well. I'm new to this website and forum, and very new to detailing. I really wanna do a great job on my truck(05 Ram 1500 SLT Hemi 4x2 Red). I belong to DT(Dodge Talk) website, and have read so many posts on debadging, as well as seeing some of the riders trucks without the badging on them. I'm hooked on taking them off because it does give the truck a cleaner look. So, I gave it a try. First I started with the SLT logo on the lower right rear of the tailgate, the the ram logo under the tailgate handle. I used fish line in a sawing motion and they came off easily. Then I had all of the foam gunk on the paint. I sprayed some goof off on the foam the lightly scraped off the foam an glue with a razor being real careful not to dig the razor into the paint. Got just about all of the adhesive off except a slight amount. The problem is: I think I might have marred the clearcoat. I tried washing the areas, then claybarring it, followed by a polish. But Quite a bit of it is still there. Anything anyone can guide me with. I'm sorry, idiot me, just don't want the insignias on there. Many Thanks All:

If you actually put a razor blade to the paint you are probably correct in thinking you have marred the paint. The problem is you can't tell the clear coat from the junk you are trying to get off. Never put metal on a paint job. That being said assuming you haven't went through the clear coat starting with a moderately aggressive polish/pad (maybe DACP or comparible) and working your way up through the finer products I would think you would be able to save it. Pictures would help here.
    *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the board.

4 quick questions

What kind of polish did you use?

Do you have any pics?

Is the haze where the foam was removed with the fishing line or is the entire area hazy?

Are you sure the paint is damaged or could the haze simply be the second side of the adhesive remaining?

In your efforts to remove the foam with a razor (very gently I'm sure) maybe the adhesive strip wasn't touched by the razor. The foam was removed leaving behind the strip. The goof off should have removed the strip though.

Just throwing out some ideas. Pics would be helpful.

Good luck.

Comment

Here goes with the pics. Keep in mind, I feel like a "JACK A**"!!!
        Attached Files

Comment

Let me think here. I did post the pic for you.

How to put pictures into your messages

Comment

A few more questions... The handle looks great by the way. I also like the clean look without the badge.

Does the smudge move? Is it still sticky.

The scratches from the corners look like maybe razor blade marks. Can you feel scratches in the paint?

Do you have any paint cleaners or adhesive remover?

Any other locations with this problem?

What kind of polishes do you have on hand and what did you use?

Does the area feel raised/lowered compared to the rest of the paint?

I think a rotary should be able to fix that. As long as the scratches (if they are scratches) aren't to deep.

Sorry for all the ?'s

Comment

ok, now i got it, i uploaded a pic to my gallery of my screwup.

Comment

That looks like adhesive residue. IMO the Goof Off was too strong of a product to use. Goo Gone is a much safer alternative.

Try using Color-X or Scratch-X and a terry cloth applicator.
                Don
                12/27/2015
                "Darth Camaro"
                2013 Camaro ... triple black
                323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Thanks Alot, Gearhead, Scrub, and Don. You guy's are doin me some great service, I feel like an ***. All I want to do is take off the badges, and I get myself into some deep kaka.

Scrub: Smudge- Two small spots of adhesive move but the rest has none and has mequiars deep crystal polish on it.

Scratches- If I rub my finger across the area, I can just about feel the scatches. But if I take my finger nail ever so lightly across the area, I do feel it easily.

Paint Cleaners- I have mequiars deep cyrstal paint cleaner, and goof off.

Locations- I also did the lower right rear of the tailgate which is nothing like under the handle.

Polishes- I brought the mequiars deep cyrstal three step process: paint cleaner, polish, liquid wax. I also brought mequiars scatchx last night.

Paint Raised- I think I understand what your asking, and I don't believe the paint feels lowered.

I own a portercable 7424. I also have a black&decker 7" sander/polisher variable speed.

I just took some day photos of the scatches, but you really cant tell from the angle.

Many Thanks Guy's:

Comment

I'd first try the paint cleaner and see if it helps. Then try the scratchX.

Hopefully the scratches aren't too deep.

Comment

Hey NYYankeeDodge

Sorry to hear about your debadging issues. From the pictures, it appears your razor blade has marred the paint's surface. Like the others, I suggest using Meguiar's ScratchX and really work it into the surface.

Here is a link of how to use ScratchX properly for defect removal

If this does not do it, you may have to have someone experienced in using a rotary buffer remove it.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I will give it a try today. Thanks alot scrub for all of your guidence.

Comment

No problem good luck my friend. Don't worry if that doesn't work. Next we'll move to plan B.

Comment

Hey, I realize it's too late now, but just if you ever do it again. I would suggest a product made to remove adhesive from paint, something like 3M Adhesive Remover instead of a product made to remove adhesive from household items.

I've used the 3M before, and it softened the adhesive up so much I could gently roll the foam off with my fingers and wipe the residue up gently with a towel.

It does look like the razor did that marring. Hopefully it's not unrepairable. Take heart, though, we've all done stupid things at some point too.
                            1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                            2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                            1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Ok, tried mequiars paint cleaner(3x over), then scatch-x(3x over), looks like a trip to the body shop. Man, the are gonna blast me when I tell them. Hopin it won't cost too much for repairs. Meaning something like 100-150. While it's there I will have them take off the rest of the badging, but will leave the hemi's on the front fenders. Wadda you guy's think?

Most importantly, thanks to all of you for your imput and advise, it was all worth the effort and because I know I can count on perfect strangers. If my house was big enough, I would bring everyone here for a brew&sub party!!!

Many Thanks All:

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');