• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

products & the process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: products & the process

thanks randy. good info, i get it now. how nice that u can go to the open garage...nothing like first hand instruction.

Comment

Cut is the compound process, like ultimate compound or m105. It in a sense is cutting a microscopic layer off the top clear coat.

Ur drill attachment uses the 4" pads which can b bought at Walmart or pep boys. With that attachment it is ok to use the burgundy pad with ultimate compound. However u do need a corded drill and not a cordless. There's threads about this and basically the cordless doesn't have the ame torque plus the battery wears down causing the pad to not do any work.

This is all pretty simple stuff for just the basics. When these guys start talking bout using different pads with different types of compound or polish that has more cut than polishing oils. That is confusing at 1st. But for u I keep saying keep it simple. Start with posting a pic of ur car with some close shots of the paint and we can guide u where to start. Always start the least aggressive and work ur way up. But get us some pics so we can get u started.

Finally dark colored cars are difficult to take care of and black being the toughest. Only cuz every little thing shows up. There's no different products for white, silver, black colored cars. Even the misconception of white wax is only for white cars and such with black wax. In reality either can b used b we won't confuse u with that. I think in the end ur gonna b pretty surprised with ur results and that's when ur hooked and go for perfection and so the OCD starts.

Comment

Re: products & the process

thanks for all the great info. when u don't know the lingo, all of this stuff is really confusing and little intimidating. i will try and get some pics on here tomorrow.

Comment

I know exactly what u mean and so do the rest of us. We were all there at one point and I still consider myself a novice. Everything I've learned was from this site. At some time I would love to take a trip to California and go to the classes meguiars offers and get my certification from them. I don't know where ur at but I'm in Chicago and its def not easy to get there on the weekend.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');