• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need Help! New Car Very Small Rust Spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Help! New Car Very Small Rust Spots

On my cars one year anniversary what I thought was dirt inthe paint turned out to be rust. Please read my introduction for the background.
    http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?61763-Hello-I-am-new-but-somewhat-old
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. These two rustspots are about the size of a pencil point. I noticed them a couple of monthsago, but I am not sure how long they have been there. I thought it would comeout with the next claying.
    I believe I have been taking very good care of my new car,please see my post in “daily driver”.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?29505-Your-Daily-Driver-A-Simple-Wash-amp-Wax-Regimen/page12&highlight=daily+driver

I also have another issue with my paint, what looks likefractures in the paint. I found one on my hood a while ago and quite a few moreon my roof. I took these close-ups using a 10x magnifier I bought to check scratchesin the paint.
    Again any and all advice or thoughts would be greatlyappreciated. Thank you all!

"there are no problems, only solutions"

Re: I Need Help! New Car Very Small Rust Spots

Larger pictures please
    2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Larger pictures: Rust spots Second issue fractured paint on hood: Hope this is better. Thank you!

Comment

Well that second pictire look like you have had two good nicks out of your paint, right down to the metal, and the metal is rusting. If I am correcting in my assessment, no amount of claying on the planet is going to help. The rust has to be removed and reprimed, and painted. For someone who says "I have been taking very good care of my new car" you sure have a lot of scratches in the clearcoat.

The third picture look like "alligatoring". This can happen for many reasons, however clay, polishing, will not help. If you want it to go away, it needs to be removed, as far down into the paint/primer until it is removed. You may have to go to the metal....and then prime and paint.

Comment

I agree - that paint doesn't look very well looked after at all.

The 2nd pic looks like a chip down to bare metal and the 3rd pic looks like a bird bomb etching that was left for too long. If that's the case, both will need re-painting.
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

The third photo looks like clear coat failure to me. I would not polish over that area. The only way to fix this is a repaint.

The other areas appear to be chips that went to through the paint and to the metal. Some touch up paint would have been a good idea to prevent them from rusting.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Blueline; your hurting my feelings a little, I hope you read my post under “daily driver”. I believe I am taking good care of my car, I don’t know how many people look at their paint using a magnifier. This was the first time for me and I was very shocked. Look at picture #1 the paint looks great except for the spots. I have no idea how this could have happened, any thoughts? Does anyone think I may have bought a bad paint job or could it have decayed while the car was waiting to be purchased? My car had been parked up-against the brick wall of an old factory, I don’t know how long. It was made in January and I bought it in August. Please continue the feedback, Thank you All

Comment

Well ur 2 rust spots could b bad rock chips that rusted out. But I'm with guz on the cc failure. If that's what it is u might get the warranty to pay for it. But I highly doubt they will with it being a year old they will come up with some bs excuse like u don't wash or wax on a regular basis, etc. but cc failure should b covored cuz that should definitely last more than a year no matter what the conditions it was left in.

As far as ur chips get rid of the rust I think loctite makes a spray paint that u apply to the rust and it eats it away and seals it at the same time. Then get u a touch up paint pen.

U may take good care of ur car, but even tho it's a dd good car should still mean no scratches like that when its even a year old. When people refrencing a dd they are referring to major scratches or rust or cc failure. But even then the scratches that can b removed will b. not to hurt ur feelings but u def need to step up ur game if ur looking for total protection and defect free paint.

Comment

I don’t mind stepping up my game, that’s why I’m here. Within one week of owning the car I had down loaded information from six different web sites including this one, on ways to take care of my car. This was before she got her first bath and I have been very gentle with her. A little after two months I took this picture, I really don’t know how those scratches got there. You don’t see them in the hood picture. I am concerned that if I take it to the dealer and they don’t fix it, the car won’t be good for a trade in…what would you guys do?

Comment

It's a daily driver and it's black. It's bound to get scratches and chips. Swirls are going to happen but they can be limited by proper washing techniques.

You're asking what we would do. If it was me I would clean up those rust spots. Possibly something like ironx. Then clean them with IPA and fill them in with Dr. Colorchip. For the rest of the car I would polish it with a DA. I would try a test spot with M205 and if more correction is needed then I would reach for ultimate compound, D300 or M105.
                    99 Grand Prix
                    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Do you think the DA with M205 would remove the fractures that I now believe was bird droppings that sat on the car before I purchased it? And would this process be frowned on under the warranty?

Comment

I can't say unless you try a test spot. With M205. But if they are etched pretty deep then you're more than likely going to need to compound.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Unless its actual cc failure there's no fixing that. But i agree with guz as far as what to do, except I would take it to the dealer and just try and get it under warranty, prob won't pay but what if there's that small chance and u never know, doesn't hurt to try. Worse that can happen is say no. But that wouldn't even affect the trade in value. If they fixed it that's great but if u just leave it that will hurt the resale value. But just taking her to the dealer wether for warranty work or just repairs won't affect any value on the car. Only if its in a major accident that's reported to the DMV.

Remember nobody's knocking ur game cuz we all started there at some point. Ur doing great, and even better by not just reading the Internet info but joining these forums and asking questions trying to learn more. After all were all here to help noobs. And I still consider. Myself one as well for I really just got into this last year. Other than ur basic cleaning that we all do. But to step up and beyond to another level I never knew existed. Wait 6 months and u will b rambling off answers for the next wave of guys.

Comment

Your last photo of the cracking is also sometimes referred to as 'crow's feet". It's nothing you did in your care of the paint, crow's feet is an inherent paint defect usually resulting from improper curing or contamination between the base coat and clear coat layers when the paint was baked. I would definitely look into your bumper to bumper warranty if the car is relatively new.

Comment

[QUOTE=learning curve;551787]Blueline; your hurting my feelings a little, I hope you read my post under . I believe I am taking good care of my car, I don’t know how many people look at their paint using a magnifier. /QUOTE]

Sorry, I was not trying to hurt your feelings....AND I am not trying again, but I have two daily driver black cars, and one would have to look long and hard to find scratches like that on either of them. You photo #1 looks teriffic, however #2 shows a lot more scratches then you would see in my vehicles...and I am no where the perfectionist that some of the fellows here are. Again...sorry. if my comment was a little harsh.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');