• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can this be easily fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be easily fixed?

First off, I hope you guys can see what I'm talking about in the photos...

I decided to swapped out my chrome 5.0 badges for matte black badges, and took some time to look at how to do it and what to use. On the retailer's website, many customers stated they used Goof Off and/or Goo Gone. I happened to have both of those, and a plastic sticker scraper/pry tool. It was also suggested by many customers to use painter's tape to be able to index the new 5.0 badges as the new badges didn't have the indexing posts on the back of them like the stock ones did. Luckily, I have several roles of Gorilla Glue brand painter's tape on my shelf. With all of my supplies and my wife's hair dryer (she wasn't home ), I set to work, taking my time. The badges came off pretty easy but I found the double sided adhesive tape to be a particular pain in the butt. The double sided tape actually destroyed the plastic scraper/pry tool by the time I was done. Luckily, it doesn't appear the aggressive scraping did anything to the paint. I got the area cleaned up pretty decent, and stuck my matte black 5.0 badges on without issue. Of course, the sun was setting, and the light was getting pretty dim in my garage.

The next day, I drove my car to work, and as the sun was coming up after I parked, I saw something that caused my anatomy to shrink inside of my body. Where the painter's tape had laid on the body panels, it appeared the Goo Gone and Goof Off raised the paint or clear coat. I have rubbed my fingers over these trouble areas while applying pressure and it doesn't feel as if it's a bubble, but more like the clear or pain underneath of it has swollen. While rubbing my fingernail over these areas perpendicular to the raised spots, you can barely feel them, but at certain angles with the right light, you sure can see them!

Lets see if they show up in these photos:

Here it is with the areas highlighted in red:

A slightly different angle:

Again with the areas highlighted:

Another angle:

And gain highlighted:

I'm probably being a bit ridiculous as the defects aren't that noticeable and I bet 99% of people looking at the car will never see them unless it's pointed out. But it bother's me and I'm concerned about what it can turn into down the road. Oh yeah, Like I said, when I did this, the light was going down and I didn't notice all of the crud left over inside of the 5.0 badges, and that stuff has since been cleaned out with detailer and Q-tips.

So, can what happened to the paint be corrected. Can it be corrected easily with the badges on the car? How would I go about doing it?

And just for poop and giggles, here is the car after her (and mine) first real detailing:
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Off subject but have u thought of plasti dipp?

Comment

Re: Can this be easily fixed?

It could be left over adhesive remover. I've used goo gone plenty of times to remove badges and it had never caused any issues. I recommend you give the area a good cleaning and maybe a good claying. If the clay doesn't remove it then try some polish. If you need to get more aggressive use a compound. You can do it by hand in those area's.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

You know how you said that the double sided tape completely destroyed the price tool. One thing you could try next time is to use a plastic razor blade for removing the double sided tape, adhesive, foam, and all the sticky residue left behind after you remove the badge. After some scraping you'll notice the plastic razor blade is getting dull. So take a metal razor blade and use that to Very Carefully! sharpen your plastic razor blade. Be really careful and always cut away from yourself, not towards yourself. Oh and Never use a metal razor blade for scrapping, prying, or anything on the paint , you'll scratch it up big time

Comment

*Pry tool (not Price tool).

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');