• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to polish such a paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to polish such a paint

Hi guys, over an year ago I bought an 2001 BMW e46 which I love since it's my first car. The previous owner took more or less good care of it. When I bought it the paint was looking perfect, but after 4-5 more aggressive washes (active foam+pressure) I discovered that one of my doors has been keyed (took me a lot to find out, initially thought I hit something). The prev-owner tried to touch up the paint. I still have no idea how he polished it or with what but I swear to God I didn't see that touched up scratch across my door (this is not the main topic, but if someone has an idea how to make it "invisible again" please advise).
    I recently started waxing my car, and boy do I love how it looks. I started with the cheap stuff, then I started reading and discovered the better options, then I started hating the swirl marks and imperfections (thanks a lot for that). In Europe we don't do so much detailing. Back home we have touch-less washing where they employ aggressive active foam and high pressure to perfectly clean the car without touching it until it is dried. I moved currently to Denmark.
    Anyhow, now I can only find coin operated washing places (I will not be caught dead into a automatic brush washer), and I was my car there. I try to not use the foam brush but even with my own sponge I get swirl marks. I also found some more deeper scratches (I can feel them with my fingernail) probably where there when I bought the car. I have some medium-deep swirls from a CB antenna on the rooftop. this is driving me insane. Considering that a 1 time 3 stage polish (which I'm 100% sure it is competently done) costs here more than twice what I would pay for a G220v2, I am thinking of buying one and polishing my car twice a year.
    My biggest problem is that I have some small scratches/bents/stop punctures which have allowed rust to develop. Its hard to explain it, especially when English is my second language. I want to know if it would be safe to polish over it.
    I will to polish my entire car. the deeper scratches with UC and then go to SWIRLSX and to a nice lovely wax, but I'm scared that I might damage more the paint where there small rust has formed.
    Also, if anybody has any idea what the previous owner has used on the car I would be very happy to hear. I was thinking something like http://www.sonax.com/Products/Exteri...COLOR-Nano-Pro (hope nobody thinks of this as a commercial). I just need something, and currently prefer meguiars as it appears to be very widely known and respected, easy to source in Denmark and I can find all the info in English. Sonax is mainly german and I can barely find good info or recommendations.
    Anyhow, I hope someone can really give me some ideas. I have attached the pictures of the areas and marked with red the imperfections. The winter is coming and I already planned to clay the car (I have some rough regions on one panel where I think the was wasn't properly taken out) and they use a sealant and some wax for the winter as we use a lot of salt in the winter.

YoU have definitely come to the right place. Be patient and ill let some of the more experience guys give you the advice you need. But I do suggest some pictures of the car from a distance too so they know what they're looking at and can give u a better regiment. Also they do sell meguiars products in Europe.

Comment

Re: Is it safe to polish such a paint

thanks a lot. i will be patient as I am planning to do this sometime after 15th of November. I know they sell Meguiars in Europe and I'm planning to use them, since they now started to make those kits which make it easy for novice like me to choose what to use. first they got the awesome DA G220V2, now they start pairing stuff for easy use. I've read everywhere that the UC especially is something amazing.
      I only mentioned the Sonax because it is the only "color" polish I found (I've seen some from turtle also, but I try to avoid their products).
      I will try tomorrow to post some pictures with the car (it is late and raining now). But they are extremely small in size, and can be missed unless you know where they are. I tend to be very meticulous when waxing.

Comment

Re: Is it safe to polish such a paint

sorry for the delay... it's been raining for the past 2 days and I've been swapped at work. I have managed to find an old picture. I have marked on the picture with circles each of the 3 pictures. they are very small, and can't be seen unless you look for them on purpose.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');