• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Mike Phillips : Need Advice on my rim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Mike Phillips : Need Advice on my rim problem

Hey Mike,

Here is my problem I have a 2002 wrx impreza and I run high performance break pads that dust like you would not believe( in 3 days rims are black). I clean them on a egular basis but failed to before winter because of weather. The rims are a set of painted and cleared BBS's. There is now some dust that is not coming off. I tried scratch-x to no avail. what would you suggest? here are some pics.

andrew

2013 Race Red F-150 SCREW

I have the same problem on my wife's Eclipse. I tried claying them over the week end. I sent 10 minutes in a 2 inch square. It seemed to help a little but it could take you all day for one wheel. I am still looking for a better solution. If any one has ideas I am also game to try them.
    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2007 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

I would first clean them with an acid based wheel cleaner, I think there is one in the detailer line called "wheel brightener." If that doesn't work, get some 3M tar and wax remover and rub it vigorously with a terry cloth towel.

Comment

You've had two good suggestions so far, claying or trying our Wheel Brightener in our Professional Detailers line.

For the wheel Brightener approach
        Do you know of a PBE store nearby where you can purchase some Wheel Brightener? If not, below is a link to where you can order it online in a smaller size to try out.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com

D-14032........................32 oz. Sampler (Concentrate)
        Internet Special...$8.49
        Comes in D-21040 bottle with D-110542 chemical resistant trigger sprayer.

Perhaps Joe/SuperiorShine or Brian/DETLMAN has come across this and has a sure-fire method of correcting the problem?

For the claying approach
        I would suggest trying a small piece of clay, about the size of a large bubble gum ball. See if claying works in one area as a test.

If you're working on clear coated rims, then you treat the coating which is clear paint similar to how you would treat your car's finish.

I can't help but wonder if this is brake dust that while hot, has embedded itself into, (at least partially), into the clear coat paint.

If this is the case, I don't think using a super strong wheel cleaner is going to un-embed it, and in fact may dull and stain your clear coat finish.

Approach this using the safest approach and see if you can remove the brake dust in one small area using a small piece of detailing clay and a spray lubricant. If you can, then apply the ScratchX to that spot to restore the clarity and luster.

If you can fix one small area, you can fix everything. If you cannot fix one small area, then we need to find another approach. As flipper noted, fixing the problem using a piece of clay is not very effective, but if this is the only safe approach then next time you're shopping for wheels, keep this problem in the back of your mind.

I'll send Joe and Brian a PM... These guys have seen it all and if there is a way, (a safe way), they'll know of it.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You have recieved sound advice, here is how I would go about it. First I would get wheel brightener mixed correctly, spray and let sit a few seconds ( in the shade ) if you have a pressure washer rinse with the pw and see how the look. If still not clean spray th eqwheel brighter again and agitate with a soft brush, rinse agail. If still not clean go for the clay, ansd them you should polish with scratch -x and follow with your choice of wax.

the bummer is sometimes with race pads there is so much metal content that is actually damages the wheel and you will be stuck with some of th elittle spots. I had a set in mhy mini for a while and pulled them because my wheels were getting dammaged from th epad material.
          If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');