• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Dust

How do you remove crusted, baked on brake dust safely from most aluminum wheels?

I like IronX as a start.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Brake Dust

You can use DUB wheel cleaner. It's color changing like ironx.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Brake Dust

I still use Meguiars D140 Wheel Brightner for the heavy caked on brake dust. (just don't use on polished aluminum or annodized wheels! Work on one wheel at a time and read directions!

Other wise I use D143 diluted 2:1 or 50/50 and use soft bristle wheel brush and to get into the hard to reach corners or edges I always keep several soft bristle tooth brushes around, sometimes you can find them on sale or clearance, and that's when I stock up.

Which ever wheel cleaning product you use, always work one wheel at a time and follow the directions. Sometimes you have to keep repeating, but remember least aggressive techniques and products. I've even had to use 0000 steel wool soaked with mineral spirits before and/or wheel brightner and still just got little improvement. But don't get angry and go get some type of degreaser, some of the cheaper degreaser at discount store are very strong because of certain chemicals and can really do harm to the finish of some types of wheels.

And like Guz mention the Dub Wheel cleaner, heard some great things about it and have yet to try it but just found an Advance Auto that carries it so I will be getting me a bottle or 2.
        ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
        You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
        Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');