• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on a maintenance regimen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would only apply the iron x on stains in the paint.

Comment

Re: Opinions on a maintenance regimen

My reasoning for Iron X is: #1) My truck stays outside 24/7 and there's surely got to be some iron based contaminates, and #2) the only way to find out if there are contaminates is to actually use Iron X. It would only be a one time application in the spring to prep for polish and PP 365.

Comment

ElDorado,
        Did Mike make mention of using d115 over PP 365?

Comment

Yeah, with the IronX and TarX, I kind of spray all over the paint, and then add more to that area if I see the tracers showing up.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

@supergus. That's a good question. What I did ask him just after was, how about those car wash solutions that are said to have wax in them, such as Ultimate Wash & Wax? He quickly nodded his head and those are fine.. Now I've never tried Ultimate Wash & Wax [Gold Class works so well it's hard to want to try anything else lol] and even though I've personaly never really believed there could be such a difference in it due to the "wax" part of it, I couldn't help but shake my head and think, so does it have wax in it or not? Lol.
            I was left thinking about that for a few seconds and someone else asked the next question...

Comment

I'm a bit confused... Paint protect 365 hasn't been advertised primarily for its look, but longevity. While UQW has a great shine that even adds to ULW. So why is it not advised to use UQW over it? Ie. why would it be a problem, if your car will look more like UQW rather then 365?

Regarding iron-x, I believe you get better results by also agitating it on the surface (e.g. with a microfiber towel, or non scratch sponge), hence I always apply it AFTER washing...(which does make it a bit longer process then the other way around)
              I believe brake dust also has iron particles in it, so most daily drivers will collect those, so using it once a year is quite useful, and you will see the bleeding (certainly not to the extent as shown above though). It is amazing how little clay will collect after such chemical decontamination....

Comment

Originally posted by szladob View Post
                I'm a bit confused... Paint protect 365 hasn't been advertised primarily for its look, but longevity. While UQW has a great shine that even adds to ULW. So why is it not advised to use UQW over it? Ie. why would it be a problem, if your car will look more like UQW rather then 365?
                To quote Jason Rose, it's about "surface tension". Say I polish the car with some M205 or any other polish and then follow up with 365. That would be my protection. It is advertised as having amazing water beading and long term protection. If I added a coat of UW, UQW or any other wax for that matter, then the surface tension is now that of the product on top of 365. You lose the advantage of the water beading advertised by 365. Similar concept for a coating. They may not have the look but they offer the protection. The maintenance is a simple wash and dry. That is why people choose to go with a coating. Some like the minimal maintenance.

Hope this makes sense.

Also be aware that the surrounding environment plays a factor so it would be nice to see those that use 365 in various climates to see what kind of durability is being achieved.

Mike Pennignton and Michael Stoops discussed this at this during the 2015 Product Thursday Night Garage with those of us that attended.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');