• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I use UP, UC or just no need polishing yet? Need some advice. (photos inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I use UP, UC or just no need polishing yet? Need some advice. (photos inside)

Hi guys... my car is AUDI A4L bought in year 2012. the color is white... recently what confuses me is that I am not sure if I need to polish my white car yet... actually most of the time I dont even notice my car's swirls, but it does have very fine, not obvious ones)... the problem is that in the direct strong sunlight, or some direct light they are still observable, though not obvious. and I am wondering if I still polish my car (I think I just kind of obsessed with it)... and there are some of the photos of my car for reference... actually the swirls cannot be seen by photos taking, even it is hard to find out unless I find it so carefully.

Actually I am using GC wash, ultimate wax, collinite 845, cleaning time with meg's white wax and clay bar... By the way, can white wax remove fine swirls?

Re: Should I use UP, UC or just no need polishing yet? Need some advice. (photos insi

White wax can remove swirls if worked in well, usually by machine.

Will you be working by hand or machine?

If you want to remove the swirls, then yeah, some kind of polishing would needed. Probably would need Ultimate Compound if working by hand to have a chance...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Should I use UP, UC or just no need polishing yet? Need some advice. (photos insi

I too have a white Audi. The paint on that (and on Audis in general) is pretty hard. Not saying yours is necessarily the same, but if it is, you'll need at least UC and a DA to remove the swirls.

And yes, WW does have correcting ability, so it may remove some of the really fine swirls. That may be good enough, given the car is white and the swirls are hardly noticable.

A test spot is your friend!
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

White is one of the hardest paints to correct. They are great because they hide a lot but when it's time to do some sort of correcting you have to move your head and play around with the angle and lighting. I highly recommend you get yourself a nice LED flash light to help you out.

I agree with Murr. Are you doing this by hand or machine?
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for u guys comments! I am so glad to collect ur ideas within a very short time. Actually I do everything just by hand; i do not own that kind of machines. That's why i have just browsed the forum again and again, and heard so many ppl said that using ultimate polish is not gonna work, by hand, i mean. I think i am gonna go get a UC and get a try with it. So I dont know to do UP after doing UC right? I dont wanna get too much products when they are doing the same jobs.

And by the way the environment in China is not so good that I have to wax my car a lot, like once per month. I am just kinda afraid that waxing would leave swirls on the paint. And the most disappointing thing to me is that the air here is too bad that i wash my car every weekend but the car is just like coating a layer of dust after every carwash.

Comment

Good idea starting out with UC in this case. Doing it by hand is going to be a lot of work, so you may want to do it slowly, say one panel at a time, when you have time.

Generally, you would then apply UP after UC, but it depends on what the paint looks like after UC. You may think it does not need UP, or it's too much extra work for little gain (especially being a white car). After UC, do a test spot with UP and see if you can notice any difference, and then decide from there.

Waxing should never leave swirls if you're doing it correctly. Just be sure to use a clean applicator, clean, good quality MF towels and that the car is clean obviously.

If daily dust is bothering you, you can keep on top of it by using a QD (for light dust) or a waterless wash (for heavier build up). You can do this every day if you wish, then just wash the car on the weekends. Just be sure to use proper technique with the QD or WW (and car washing for that matter), which you can find a lot of information on on this site.
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

You may also to look at something like Ultimate Quick Wax to use after you wash your car, while drying, to help extend the life of the regular coat of wax.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What I would do is make sure the car is clean when doing this, for the most part. I would take it to a gasoline station at night and use their lights to see the condition of your paint. (Might as well put gas while your at it too )

If you notice swirls and they bug you, then proceed to start planning on removing them. However, if you see them, but don't think they are that bad or don't notice them really. Then just make sure your paint has an LSP to protect it and just take care of the paint and it's condition by using proper washing techniques. In my opinion.

Comment

One of the reasons I might go with Ultimate Polish in that type of situation, would be because it would be difficult to remove these swirls by hand. The glazing properties of Ultimate Polish would help conceal these swirls, as the micro abrasives smooth over the edges of the swirl marks.

If you ever get a machine, that's when Ultimate Polish and a microfiber cutting pad can really get some work done.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');