• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob attempting to detail in Washington state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob attempting to detail in Washington state

I live 25 miles south of Seattle and would like to detail my 03 Saturn Vue. Between my work schedule and mother nature being bipolar up here I'm having a hard time finding the right conditions to detail. The weather right now is rainy and mid 50s how long do I need to wait after detailing before I drive out in the rain or would it be more beneficial to wait for better warmer weather?

My plan was wash, clay, UC, UP, AND UW.

Re: Noob attempting to detail in Washington state

The UC will definately take the most time and effort, esp if working by hand.

You may find it best to work on the car in sections... like wash/clay/UC/UP/Wax that hood and fender one day, then move on to something else a few days after.

If it is really your first time, I might suggest doing this:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. ColorX or White Wax
    4. Wax

Do that this time over the whole car, and then when you have a nice day, you can wash/UC/UP/Wax a section a a time.

As far as weather... yeah, it is nice to avoid rain/snow for as long as possible... say 8, 12 hours or so. But it is not like your wax will all just fall off on the floor if it gets wet.

Detailing in the 50's is ok, esp if you are able to find a sunny spot. But dampness can make the wax a bit smeary to remove... but cant help that, and not that big of a deal.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

What city are you in? 25 miles south of Seattle, so Tacoma area? Are you going to go at it hand or a dual action polisher? Do you have a garage? Or carport? If so you will be just fine. And just let the car or truck sit under the covered area as long as possible. Yes the winter in Washington really does **** for detailing, not that our climate gets as bad as back east or as nice as some of the southern states, but it can be done. Like mentioned above if working by hand , panel by panel is going to be your best option. If by machine, and no cover same concept but you will be able to knock more out at a time. I probably live not to far away from you and can possibly help with showing some pointers if needed. Let us know what your methods will be.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');