• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Black Car Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Black Car Questions

Hello all!

I am the new owner of a 2015 Audi S5 in brilliant black (I read it’s notorious for being difficult to maintain?) and I am so glad I found your awesome forum. I have been doing quite a bit of reading throughout the forum and believe I have a decent grip on how the cleaning process should work but I wanted to run my plan by some of you first. I am so afraid of messing up my beautiful new paint!

Today I do my first wash. I have free hand washing at the dealer but can already see the swirls starting and have decided it’s best that I do the cleaning myself. I ran out and picked up all sorts of Meguiares goodies to get the job done.

Here’s my initial questions: Like I said, the car is very new and was wondering what type of regiment you thought would be appropriate at this point? Today I was just going to wash with the Gold Class carwash, using a microfiber wash mitt, two buckets, and microfiber drying towels. I also picked up a brush for the rims and dressing for the tires. I plan on using the wash method described here on the site. And calling it a day until I get some of your input on what might be necessary at this point in the cars life.

Also – I had the dealer put on a protective clear coat that warranties the car against paint damage for 3 years. I don’t want to inadvertently polish this coat away or something through a vigorous cleaning regiment. I will post the brand when I find the papers. Anyone had concerns about this? Am I on the right track? Any tips on preventing those dreaded swirls? Drying with anything short of an air blower type deal makes me cringe. Should I was the microfiber before the first use?

Thanks for any input!

Doc

Re: New Black Car Questions

If you are new to detailing, you probably want to keep things easy, and slowly build up. And esp so if getting into removing swirls by hand...

I would look at:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. ColorX or White Wax. Even the Black Wax, though its a little milder.
    4. Wax - Ult Wax, Gold Class etc

Maintain - Ult Quick Wax or Gold Class Spray Wax after future washes.

You can also watch the Mike Phillips "How to Wash Show Car Style" on you tube..

Like I said, if new, probably best to have some shiny swirls while learning at first, then building up skills. Also to get to learn how touchy the paint might be.

Yes, good idea to wash things first, in case of store dirt, etc.

Preventing swirls is really just using good quality materials, touching the paint as little as possible, and being sure to have lubricant when you do, such as car wash soap (mixed at the right ratio), quick detailer spray if removing bird droppings.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Welcome and congrats on your new Audi. It's great that you're interested in maintaining it properly from the start.

Simple easy steps to preventing swirls?
      1. Use the Megs Microfiber wash mitt from day 1. Even if you have to wait an extra couple of days to get it through online order, it really is the best mitt because it's white, it's soft, and it's a great value!

2. Grit guards are ok if you have alot of patience... I personaly have never found enough patience to lean over and dunk my mitt into a 2nd bucket, only to keep bringing up a mitt that's

at best maybe 85% clean... The spray nozzle set to 'shower' gets 100% of the grit off my mitt in less than 3 seconds and is far less tiring than repeatedly dunking my arm into a bucket of water, hoping my mitt is clean enough to return to my paint.

3. Your drying towel. Make sure it's trustworthy. Most nowadays are. The Megs Water Magnet is legit. If that's what you're using very little if any pressure is needed while using it.

4. If and when you do decide to polish or wax your car, do not over do it on the pressure you apply while buffing/polishing off any product. Even with the best microfiber towels, you can inflict scratches if you apply more pressure than normal. Just be easy at 1st. that's all

The nozzle tip to clean your mitt after every small area is key IMO. Your black car remaining swirl free depends on it.
      Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your great new car!

Comment

to MOL!

That's a beautiful car you have - can't wait to see pics!

The guys have steered you on the right path.

As far as removing swirls / defects, one thing I will add is that Audis usually (USUALLY) have hard paint, which means you need to get a bit more aggressive to remove swirls. Having said that, always start with a test spot using the least aggressive method and let the paint tell you what it needs.
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Welcome. There has been some good advice already presented. Murr has led you down the right path. One thing to note is that if you use some sort of cleaner wax, then you will be removing whatever is on the paint.

You had the dealer install some sort of protection on the paint. More than likely it is just a typical sealant. It will not last 3 years. A typical sealant lasts about 3-6 months.

If you are looking for long term protection you have NXt and Ultimate Wax. These last about 3-6 months. This varies by your surrounding environment. If you are looking for the longest protection then there is the new Paint Protect 365 which claims to offer 1 year protection. It will not impart a shine like NXT or ultimate wax.

You also have carnauba waxes such as Gold Class. They last about 1-3 months.

Cleaner waxes are carnauba based. They are nice when you are looking for a quick detail. These are all in one products that clean, polish and protect. White wax has the most cleaning power.

You have to ask yourself what you are really after. Looks or protection?
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by docshockalou View Post
            Hello all!

I am the new owner of a 2015 Audi S5 in brilliant black
            Doc
            I feel I have to correct your statement. You do not own the vehicle. It owns you. People who have black cars, and take care of them, are owned by their vehicles.

Otherwise, others have provided great advice to you.

Owner of two black beauties.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! I'll post some pictures soon, I also have questions regarding the interior of the car but first lets see how this wash turns out!

Comment

What would you recommend for the spots that were missed after a regular wash? I was a bit hesitant to apply too much pressure with the mitt and subsequently have a couple of spots on the hood left over from bird droppings. Quick detailer and a microfiber cloth?

Comment

I agree with the others. I'll add that it helps to realize black is only difficult to maintain if you compare that to how most people never wash white or silver cars. The regimen should be close to the same for nearly any car, if properly protected and detailed. So, in that light, black isn't more difficult - detailing itself is difficult (but fun to us)
                  Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                  4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                  First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
                    black isn't more difficult - detailing itself is difficult (but fun to us)
                    Many will disagree with you. White, silver, and certain other colors are far more forgiving than black. Beside, it was a joke, son. I say, a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                      I feel I have to correct your statement. You do not own the vehicle. It owns you. People who have black cars, and take care of them, are owned by their vehicles.

Otherwise, others have provided great advice to you.

Owner of two black beauties.

Black can be hard to maintain, but when done right, the color black can make "ordinary" cars look a bit more special.

Black wax is a good cleaner wax, cleans and polishes well enough, gives an even finish. I find that flakes pop even more with black wax.

All megs waxes are great. Even the entry level Deep Crystal Carnauba is great, but you can move up to Gold Class Carnauba Plus. If proper paint maintenance is done, these waxes will last. If not, even the Ultimate or NXT2.0 will fail easily.

Comment

Yeah, some Quick Detailer and MF cloth would be appropriate to use to remove some left over dirt.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                          Many will disagree with you. White, silver, and certain other colors are far more forgiving than black. Beside, it was a joke, son. I say, a joke.
                          Yeah, I was kinda joking too. Detailing is a sick PITA! Run, new people, run, before you find yourself detailing in your spare time, hiding detailing gear, ignoring your family and friends, and pining for your next full correction

Besides, Blue, many disagree with me, anyway - oh, burden of being right all the time.

Yes, I was joking.

Originally posted by ffboy View Post
                          Black can be hard to maintain, but when done right, the color black can make "ordinary" cars look a bit more special...All megs waxes are great. Even the entry level Deep Crystal Carnauba is great, but you can move up to Gold Class Carnauba Plus. If proper paint maintenance is done, these waxes will last. If not, even the Ultimate or NXT2.0 will fail easily.
                          QFT. Could not agree more.
                          Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                          4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                          First Correction | Gallery

Comment

About the only thing that wasn't mentioned is that especially on black, use LOTS of flowing water to flush the dirt & contaminates off the paint surface before & during washing and while rinsing.

IMO ... There is nothing that looks better than a well maintained black car.
                            Don
                            12/27/2015
                            "Darth Camaro"
                            2013 Camaro ... triple black
                            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                              IMO ... There is nothing that looks better than a well maintained black car.
                              Classy and sexy, all in one package. And in the case of my 300, a tad evil.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');