• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distinguishing Between Something ON Paint vs Paint Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distinguishing Between Something ON Paint vs Paint Damage

I discovered what looks like a small scuff mark (3/16" x 1/2") on the darkish blue paint of my new car, along with a few small scratches. I can't tell if the scuff is something ON the paint or damage to the clearcoat. In the past, I have had success removing things like paint transfer from another car using Meguairs Plastic Cleaner 17 (w/effort). But that approach only offered minimal improvement this time. I am thinking it is paint damage, as there is no real color to the spot. How does one tell if I am looking at damage or something ON the paint? What is the best approach to fixing this? My finger detects no imperfection other than it having more friction over the spot. I worry about trying to polish it out as I don't want to "lose" clearcoat depth, but maybe that is just the nature of working out clearcoat imperfections. ???

Thank you.

Phil
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');