• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Cleaner

I have read it here somewhere but can't find it now. How do I tell if my wheels on my 2001 Jimmy are CC or not and what to clean them with? Thanks
    Howard

Re: Wheel Cleaner

If you use a paint cleaner like UC or metal polish with a cloth, and get sooty black residue, then it is bare metal.

As far as cleaning, you can use the consumer line Tire and Wheel Cleaner, or the Pro Line Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner. Those are good for general use.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If they're OEM Jimmy wheels, they are definitely clearcoated, so make sure you use a wheel cleaner that's designed for painted or coated wheels. I can't recommend a specific Meguiar's wheel cleaner, as I normally use Iron-X paste for deep cleaning, then Ultimate Compound to polish, finishing with a durable sealant, such as Ultimate Wax. The final step is the key. Maintaining coverage with a good wax/sealant reduces regular maintenance to just a soft brush and your car wash product of choice.

Bill

Comment

Thanks for the responses. You guys are the best. I will finish the Jimmy tomorrow then I have a 2013 Hyundai to do then my Lexus should be out of the paint shop, it gets show quality detailed. This is the first year for putting her in shows.
        Thanks
        Howard

Comment

Yeah, IronX is great for the brake dust every so often.

Comment

Do you guys feel IronX does a better job on baked on brake dust than Meg's D140? I would feel 140 would be Meg's most aggressive wheel cleaner and I'm wondering if IronX is even more so.

Comment

Give DUB wheel cleaner a shot.
              99 Grand Prix
              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks Guz. I have a picture of the wheel from my Rav4 in the gallery but can't post it until I log a bit more time on the site.
                I'll try DUB. I was also think about Soda Blasting. Soda is very gentle compared to other abrasives. I don't think it would touch solid clear coat. And worst case I'd need to refinish the wheels which is what I'm faced with now anyway. But I'll try DUB. I was also thinking I'd try UC to see if it would remove this stuff.

Comment

I would say may need both types of cleaners.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');