• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning

Looking to clean the engine bay and interior of my car etc... just looking for some good meguiars products what do you guys recommend I was looking at

- All Purpose Cleaner Plus
    - Super Degreaser
    - Hyper Dressing
    - Last Touch Spray

All great stuff there.
    To clean
    1. Apc
    2. Super degreaser

To dress engine bay
    1. Water based dressing

To dress interior
    1. Hyper dressing
    2. Silicone free dressing

Remember to cover electricals

Comment

Re: Cleaning

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by gordster1122 View Post
        Looking to clean the engine bay and interior of my car etc... just looking for some good meguiars products what do you guys recommend I was looking at

- All Purpose Cleaner Plus
        - Super Degreaser
        - Hyper Dressing
        - Last Touch Spray
        D10 APC+ has been discontinued for some time now. D101 APC is available. Definitely pick that up. You can dilute it to clean interior and exterior pieces.

I like to use D149 Quik Interior Detailer on interiors that are lightly soiled and lead light cleaning. I often follow up with one of the protectants (Natural Shine, New Car Scent, Ultimate Protectant).

I have never used hyper dressing but for engine bays I use D4510 Plastic & Vinyl Coating.

I have super degreaser and I have used it just a couple times More often I use APC.

I would definitely recommend D114. It's pretty versatile.

What else are you actually looking for?
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

I can vouch that D101 can handle some pretty serious grime and you may not even need the Super Degreaser.

Hyper dressing works well on engine bays and wheel wells, but don't doesn't have much longevity. I like it because you can spray it on, wipe off excess on the main areas, close the hood and the rest evens out pretty much perfect.

I highly recommend various brushes to get the engine bay clean.

Comment

I got D101 got that last year and I have been using Armor All for the plastic interior pieces and the dash board and need to detail my engine bad lol and wanted to get the last touch detailer for in between washes

Comment

Make sure you take a plastic bag and cover your air filter and alternator when cleaning that bay.
              Start with the D101 and see if that is enough for that grime. You'd be surprised at what it can take care of

And go throw that armorall in the trash!! Get yourself some proper interior protection.

Last Touch isn't really meant for wipedowns except really minor dust. If you want something for inbetween washes look into D115 waterless wash. Perfect for in between stuff and safer than Last Touch.

Comment

Last touch is great for coating and yes minor dust. And agreed 115 is great for inbetween washes when last touch isn't a good idea,

As far as engine cleaning I like to take sum aluminum foil and wrap around the parts that shouldn't get wet and then covor with a plastic bag as well. As far as apc working in engine bay it will but I suggest super degreaser instead as the oil and such are a lot tougher to clean.

Comment

The good news is that much like the L36, the L26 has sealed electronics. As stated just cover up the alternator and the air filter and you are good to go. D101 will knock off all that gunk. You will need some sort of brush to agitate.

You may want to hit that trim on the cowl and protect it with something.

I also agree with tossing that Armor all out. You will be better off using quik interior detailer to lightly clean and follow up with one of the interior protectants.

Agreed as well about last touch. It's good for light dust but if you are looking for something to maintain your wax protection after a wash D156 would be my recommendation. D115 would be good for a rinseless/waterless wash that leaves some thing behind.
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
                    As far as engine cleaning I like to take sum aluminum foil and wrap around the parts that shouldn't get wet and then covor with a plastic bag as well. As far as apc working in engine bay it will but I suggest super degreaser instead as the oil and such are a lot tougher to clean.
                    Aluminum foil is a a big no no on alternators... Or anywhere near positive power sources.

I've been able to get some pretty greasy, oily stuff out with just APC. Degreasers you have to be really careful with as on non-clear coated engine bays it can take off paint. Ask me how I found out.
                    Start with the least aggressive method first and see how it works out. If you need some more ummph just be careful and know what it could do.

This was just with APC and I was getting horrible VW cosmoline off of the strut towers.

Comment

Why aluminum foil? I've never heard of using that to protect in the engine bay.

Comment

Easy to wrap around little electronic sensors and such. And yes u must b careful around positive sources but I do recommend disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead0754 View Post
                          I do recommend disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery.
                          I can't do that on customers cars.
                          And would rather not do that on my cars as it resets the ECU and I have to drive it a certain way for an hour or so for it to recalibrate fuel trims and idle, along with the radio code, and resets trip odometers/MPG stuff in the cluster.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');