• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about sun fade and using ultimate compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about sun fade and using ultimate compound

So i believe i have a single stage paint on my hot red 88 nissan because when i use my electric orbital with ultimate compound my bonnets turn red is that normal? Also noticed after i removed all the sun fade the paint had using uc the paint came back to brand new but if it rains and then sun comes out it seems like the paint starts going back to being faded after a few days anyway i can stop this? i applied wax after using uc and still doesnt help i guess my paint is too far gone and need a new paint job? but i mean after buffing it with uc it looks brand damn new but once it rains and the sun comes out u can see its starting to look not as good after a few days of rain and sun beating on the paint.

Re: Question about sun fade and using ultimate compound

With single stage paint, it is normal to have the color come off onto the pads or bonnets. Try using some #7 after polishing the paint to help feed it with a lot of the polishing oils that are present in the #7. This may help the longevity of the paint. If it doesn't help, then your paint is probably too far gone to save.

Try reading this article for more help:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

I consider the article Don referenced above as the "Bible" of SS paint restoration, having done the process quite a few times over the past 5 years. Mike has changed one thing in his subsequent restos, however. Originally, he applied the M07 with an mf towel. Over the past few years, he has switched to a terry washcloth for the M07 apps. The coarser fibers of the terrycloth material accomplish a greater amount of oxidation removal than microfiber towels. Often, I will do more than one M07 app, complete with overnight soak in the attempt to saturate the paint with as much of the M07 oil content as possible. Sometimes, that's all the paint needs to look good, so I'll then apply my LSP of choice. Other times, some further polishing is necessary, in which case I'll try M80 first, as it's worked well for me, using pad choice to vary the cut.
      I have no scientific proof, but my experience has shown that the more M07 you can "force feed" into the paint prior to waxing, the more longevity you add to the final results.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
        With single stage paint, it is normal to have the color come off onto the pads or bonnets. Try using some #7 after polishing the paint to help feed it with a lot of the polishing oils that are present in the #7. This may help the longevity of the paint. If it doesn't help, then your paint is probably too far gone to save.

Try reading this article for more help:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ge-paints.html
        im gonna go pick some up as we speak i hope it works i spent so many days n hours with the orbital and uc and for the fade to come back is really pissing me off!!!

Comment

What wax did you use after UC?

You may need something more durable to lock in all your hard work..
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
            What wax did you use after UC?

You may need something more durable to lock in all your hard work..
            i used meguiars ultimate quik wax but when i used a wax with carnuba it seemed to bring the fading back but when i use ultimate quik wax it doesnt.

Comment

That kinda makes sense, as UQW is a sealant (it does have a tiny bit of carnauba to btw).

I would try the M7 like others above have said, followed by UW. That should last much longer than what you have been experiencing.
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

its the ultimate quik wax spray that i used after using ultimate compound but if i tried using a carnuba wax after uc it cause imperfections to the paint.

Comment

should i just go over the areas that faded out again with m7 and then follow with quik wax instead of using ultimate compound again? Cause i already went over the car with uc and brought back the shine but now the shine especially on the roof is starting to fade again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilovecleancars View Post
                    its the ultimate quik wax spray that i used after using ultimate compound but if i tried using a carnuba wax after uc it cause imperfections to the paint.
                    Yeah, I got that. So don't use the carnauba any more. After UC, you can keep using UQW, as you've done, or if you want it to last longer, use UW liquid or paste.

Originally posted by Ilovecleancars View Post
                    should i just go over the areas that faded out again with m7 and then follow with quik wax instead of using ultimate compound again? Cause i already went over the car with uc and brought back the shine but now the shine especially on the roof is starting to fade again.
                    You could if you were pressed for time. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable giving it a light polish first to completely remove the oxidised (faded) paint first, then M7, then wax.

Comment

Sounds like the paint is dry. Follow that thread by using some M7 and then do your paint correction or a polish such as Ultimate Polish if you need it.

UQW is durable and offers good protection but it's really meant to be used as a maintenance product. It's a booster type product that is used to extend the life of whatever wax you are using and to give back some of the shine that was lost.

Like Davey said try using ultimate liquid wax or NXT. These are both sealants and will last longer than carnauba.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

but m7 is a polish so shouldnt i just go over it with that and then wax?

Comment

That is true. But it has no abrasives in it so if you need any type of paint correction you can do that as well with something that has abrasives in it. You probably don't since you already used ultimate compound.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                            That is true. But it has no abrasives in it so if you need any type of paint correction you can do that as well with something that has abrasives in it. You probably don't since you already used ultimate compound.
                            Im gonna go over a small section of the paint thats fading again with #7 using my orbital and see if i can get that fade to turn glossy again if so i will continue using #7 and then go wax after...I read that super long thread about using m7 but he let it sit on the paint for 24hrs then removed it see that i cannot do as i dont have a garage for my car and its always outside in the sun so im gonna have to apply and remove hope it helps cause he did his in a garage so it wasnt hard to remove it after that long but for me it would take forever considering my car is outside plus it says on the bottle do not let the product dry but I will let you know how it turns out thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
                              I consider the article Don referenced above as the "Bible" of SS paint restoration, having done the process quite a few times over the past 5 years. Mike has changed one thing in his subsequent restos, however. Originally, he applied the M07 with an mf towel. Over the past few years, he has switched to a terry washcloth for the M07 apps. The coarser fibers of the terrycloth material accomplish a greater amount of oxidation removal than microfiber towels. Often, I will do more than one M07 app, complete with overnight soak in the attempt to saturate the paint with as much of the M07 oil content as possible. Sometimes, that's all the paint needs to look good, so I'll then apply my LSP of choice. Other times, some further polishing is necessary, in which case I'll try M80 first, as it's worked well for me, using pad choice to vary the cut.
                              I have no scientific proof, but my experience has shown that the more M07 you can "force feed" into the paint prior to waxing, the more longevity you add to the final results.

Bill
                              Thing is the overnight soak method wont work for me as my car sits outside day n night and its summer here with that sun beating on my paint it will dry #7 into the paint so quickly so not gonna happen so im just gonna go over the areas that started to show fade again with my orbital and #7 hopefully that will bring back more gloss otherwise im screwed and its time for a paint job

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');