• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help with what to use on new paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with what to use on new paint

When I say "new" paint, I should explain that it is just over 2 years old but never had any waxes or polishes applied to it. The car is a 1968 chevlle painted with PPG basecoat/clearcoat.

I rarely drive the car, so it has maybe sat in the sun for 10 days throughout the last 2 years at car shows etc. Most of the time it sits in my garage under a car cover.

I do have a pesky cat who likes to walk on it whenever it sees that the car is uncovered.(damn cat!)

I have washed it regularly, it has never been rained on but does get quite dusty...even under the cover (from the cover). I feel that the clear could use some type of polishing to make it really "pop". The paint was color sanded and buffed at the painters when the paint was applied.

any suggestions on where to start in polishing/protecting the paint would be greatly appreciated. I just discovered this site after seeing an ad in Hotrod magazine.

Hi and welcome to Meguiarsonline. Here is a link to get you started.

edit**Shoot the cat and get a dog j/k

Comment

one more question

Do you reccomend taking the car to a paint shop to have a good buffing done befor I start applying wax for the first time, or can I use one of your polishes and buff it by hand and obtain good results? If so please reccomend one of your polishes, looks like possibly clear coat body scrub followed my NXT paste wax?

Comment

Well, your paint is in very good condition I am sure, so a proffesional buffing should not be needed. You would probably want to use a cleaner, like the body scrub, or DC#1, etc first, then perhaps a polish next, such as DC#2, for some extra pop, espeacialy on dark colors. Then you can wax with your choice of waxes, and have a good base for the wax to adhere to.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');