• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant remove bugs at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant remove bugs at all

The car is a 2014 dart aero and the bugs are on the front bumper. I have washed several times, left to soak, tried clay bar and can still not get the bugs off. I usually can get the majority of the bugs off but there is still a white residue where the bug had been that I cant get, even if you take your finger nail and try and scrape it off you cant get it off. The car is a dark metallic blue color so its fairly easy to see. I have not tried any bug and tar remover since every other vehicle we have here I get get the bugs off with just a soak and bug sponge. Any suggestions on what I can do? Im starting to think that they have etched the clear coat.....

Re: Cant remove bugs at all

First off welcome to MOL.

So the bug guts are off the paint? If it is it sounds like they have etched themselves into the paint. Do you have photos so we know what you are referring to?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

iv got a couple but cant figure out how to upload them. Do I need to make a photobucket account or something to link them?

Comment

Get yourself a clay kit, ultimate compound and ultimate polish. You want to go with a test spot with the least aggressive method. So start with clay. If that doesn't work then move to ultimate polish and a foam applicator. If that works then just follow up with your choice of protection. If you need to get more aggressive you can use ultimate compound and a foam applicator. You have the option to follow up with ultimate polish but be sure to protect the area. If they have etched fairly deep then they may need more work.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

what you see is after clay.... at least the first three pictures.

Comment

Ok. Then pick up those two other products if you don't already have them. Report back once you have tried either of them.

By the way try to avoid scratching with your finger. You can instill scratches doing that.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Will do have 12 hour shifts lined up all next week so will try and squeeze in the time and report back asap. I know not to scratch and dig with the nail but its a good example of how bad it is. Just curious the surface was waxed with Meguiars high tech #26 yellow wax. Is there a better way to protect or perhaps a factory defect in factory clear? I paid an arm and a leg for "desert protection plan" for the paint here in the low desert so I may have a leg to stand on taking it to the dealership for repair IF it could be a defect.

Comment

Sorry its taken so long iv been busy busy. I finally was able to try the UP and UC on the etching. The UP removed a lot of the small stuff but the big splatter it just reduced its size. I switched to the UC and it reduced it even more but did not completely remove it. Im not sure if Im not applying enough pressure or if Im not using enough speed, but it definitely improved the splatter.

Comment

Originally posted by DataVampire View Post
                  Sorry its taken so long iv been busy busy. I finally was able to try the UP and UC on the etching. The UP removed a lot of the small stuff but the big splatter it just reduced its size. I switched to the UC and it reduced it even more but did not completely remove it. Im not sure if Im not applying enough pressure or if Im not using enough speed, but it definitely improved the splatter.
                  Are you sure many of these are not small chips from stones etc? I have a black car and mine is the same way. The front bumper never looks 100% clean up close simply because there are lot of really small chips from stones.

Comment

I can tell some are small chips and thats not an issue. The small bug etching was removed without issue, BUT the big splatter here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_e...ew?usp=sharing was only reduced by the UP and UC and thats what Im referring to.

Comment

Sounds like it etched deeper than the others. If you didn't get it out by hand you may need to use a machine to give you more correction power.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thats what I figured... I dont have a machine for correction have read about the pc7424xp but have no clue how to properly use one or what I need to by along with it as far cutting polishing finishing ect ect. Also I dont want to burn or rub through my clear coat. I dont know how hard that actually is to do with a machine but it is a fear of mine.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what is desert protection plan exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by SwedishCanadian View Post
                            Just out of curiousity, what is desert protection plan exactly?
                            I would assume its a resistance to extreme UV and dust/dirt since thats the two main issues where I live but Im not 100% sure will pull my paperwork and get specifics.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');