• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning a clear coated aluminum wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning a clear coated aluminum wheel

Hi guys,

I bought a 2014 chevy camaro a couple months back and I am having a little trouble understanding how to clean my aftermarket rims that came with the car. The inside of the rim is a painted black and there are 5 spokes that have a clear coat aluminum to them that I can't seem to figure out how to clean. I included a link at the bottom that shows exactly what the wheel looks like. If anybody can help me with figuring this out, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Re: Cleaning a clear coated aluminum wheel

My 95 Camry has aluminum clear coat wheels. I used Meguiars Hot shine wheel and tire cleaner and it foams up and cleans the black caked down black stains from brake dust build up. use a wheel brush with that then rinse it. if you're in drought area, use a spray bottle with water and rinse it. when it's all clean use a microfiber to dry it and they should be pristine.

Comment

Re: Cleaning a clear coated aluminum wheel

If they truly are clear coated then Hot Rims all wheel & tire cleaner will work to clean them. You may need to use a brush to agitate the cleaner.

If they are not to dirty car wash soap and water works just fine. Again a brush would be very useful. You can treat these wheels like the paint on the car if they are clear coated when it comes to polishes and compounds. Try using a sealant on the wheels to keep them protected and to make them easier to clean. Sealants such as NXT, ultimate wax, paint protect 365 will offer good protection as long as they are applied routinely. Ultimate Quik Wax is another product that works quite well. You can use it after every wash. Not as durable as a dedicated sealant but a quick way to add some protection.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');