• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M205 or ultimate polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M205 or ultimate polish?

Hi guys, i have a 2014 corolla, paint is in pretty good shape, minor light scratches, probably just need a polishing pad with finishing polish. What is the difference between the M205 and the ultimate polish?

Thanks!

Re: M205 or ultimate polish?

Ultimate Polish
    -fairly long work time
    -Has more of a glaze feel to it when spreading across the paint compared to M205
    -IMO the best smelling detail product of all time [smells like un scented gum paste]
    -doesn't wipe off quite as easy as M205
    -has more polishing oils than M205
    -can fully remove light swirls or slightly hide them, depending on your choice of aggressiveness
    -more polishing = more gloss? Maybe..

M205
    -long work time
    -wipes off perfectly easy
    -not much of a scent
    -able to correct at a much higher level than Ultimate Polish, can be paired with a variety of different pad options including microfiber pads for near compound correction in certain cases
    -less polishing oils than Ultimate Polish, behaves like a true modern polish [as far as correcting ability] where Ultimate Polish can act like a polish and/or a glaze
    -tends to feel more like a compound at times, unless you're using it to remove compound haze

~If I were in your situation, with your perticular vehicle, I'd choose Ultimate Polish.
    Last edited by Eldorado2k; Jan 10, 2016, 10:09 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info man! I will try the ultimate polish, what do you suggest for following with wax? What type? And do you typically apply the wax by hand or by rotary polisher.

Comment

Sorry i meant dual action machine, not rotary. I am not experienced enough to use those.

Comment

Ultimate Liquid Wax. I always apply it by hand not with the polisher. Just my personal preference.

Make sure to start things off the right way and use the Meguiars Clay Kit if your paint needs it. [after you wash & dry your car, perform a "baggie test" on the paint] Search that term if you're not familiar with it. Good luck!

In my 1st reply under Ultimate Polish, the last line should have said..

More polishing oils = more gloss? Maybe*
          Last edited by Eldorado2k; Jan 10, 2016, 01:53 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Thanks for the info man, i have clayed before and will definitely be doing that, just a novice when it comes to running machines.

Thanks for the info eldorado2k.

Comment

If it's with a machine I usually use the M205 or even M105 because it has a higher level of paint correction. But it may just be my personal preference because all my customers have neglected paint

Comment

I wouldn't recommend M105 to a beginner. It has a learning curve and it can lead to frustration. For a beginner Ultimate Compound is a good place to start.

You can use any wax or synthetic wax. The difference being that synthetics last longer and are more durable.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

How about m205, is that ok to use as a beginner?

Comment

I started out polishing with a dual action and the pro line of mirror glaze. I got used to it real quick. You should be fine with m205 if you use dual action and not a rotary. Rotary has more cutting power but it can burn the paint if you don't use it correctly. Since you have a dual action it should be fine. I would read some basic tutorials and make sure you have the proper foam pads. Use the correct pad with the right compound and don't use one pad for different compounds. If you already know this, you are probably even ready for M105 paint correction compound.

-Mr. Slick

Comment

I wouldn't use M105 if it is light scratches. Start with either Ultimate compound or M205. If you don't mind investing more, buy both and compare. I have ultimate polish and the M105 205 glaze, and yellow wax. I haven't used the ultimate much but already had to buy another 105 because other people see me detailing and make me an offer to do theirs.

Comment

Mr. slick, thanks for the info!

Comment

No problem. A lot of stuff I learned was from this forum and some YouTube videos, also experience on my car and customer cars.

Comment

Originally posted by fye123 View Post
                            How about m205, is that ok to use as a beginner?
                            M205 is fine for a beginner.

I would not recommend M105. I would opt for M101 or M100 as they are in my opinion better than M105. I no longer own M105 and have moved on to M101 and M100. Less dust and a longer working time for both products. Ultimate compound is a great compound as well and is a good starting point for a beginner.
                            99 Grand Prix
                            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');