• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im having second thoughts if im doing it right- clay, cut, polish, sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im having second thoughts if im doing it right- clay, cut, polish, sealant

hello i would like to introduce myself. Im a do it yourself-er with a MT300, 105, 205, 305, Megs/LC pads.

I have a 2015 lexus is F sport with a Ultra white Paint job (OEM)

My problem is I'm not achieving the fresh off the lot color tone and clarity of the paint.

It was flawless and was meticulously washed once a week. the paint was bright, reflective and SUPER ULTRA WHITE.

one day i was lazy and ran it through an automatic tunnel wash, even though the paint wasn't fully scratched but it started to appear. (maybe i asked myself for a challenge and a new hobby. So i read the fourms..particularly this one, autogeek and autotopia. I watched so much you tube videos including the junkman2000, AMMNYC, chemicalguys so i can prepare myself for the right job.

I bought a MT300 polisher from autogeek, Megs 105, 205, 305, DA MF System, even the polish (banana scent). As a protection i use PERMA PLATE a dealer applied chemical that seals the finish and repel dirt,dust and blocks off UV rays like no tomorrow.

I used the Megs Xtra Cut MF pads with the pink compound followed by the Yellow Polish and a Megs finishing MF pad, applied the perma plate by hand. scratches dramatically reduced, nice slick finish but the finish was a little hazy and dark. YES white paint having a dark tint to it.

I couldn't settle with it because it bugged me a lot. months later I used CG MF orange pad with Megs 105, CG MF black pad with 205 and LC black finishing foam pad with 305 and permaplate. Now the body including the doors and trunk lid looks awesome like it should but the rear bumper is still a dark tint shade of white. PROS please help me

Re: Im having second thoughts if im doing it right- clay, cut, polish, sealant

Try finishing with a foam pad and M205. Lexus paint is typically on the soft side. Foam typically finishes out better than a microfiber pad.

Also no need to use M305 and permaplate. It is possible that these two products don't work well together.

M305 is meant to be used on fresh paint as it is designed to let fresh paint breathe and outgas.

Have you considered getting a Meguiar's sealant such as NXT, M21 or ultimate wax?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Im having second thoughts if im doing it right- clay, cut, polish, sealant

Fully agree with The Guz on this. As a Lexus owner myself and having detailed other folks' Lexus, all I have encountered is delicate clear coat. Micro-marring caused by too aggressive technique is quite possible.

I applaud your ability to identify a problem with a white car, especially super bright white. If you haven't all ready, consider getting a hand held light similar to or even the original Brinkmann light to help you identify the problem or problem area(s). Finding and correcting swirls is sometimes difficult, but micro-marring is looking for an elusive defect on white, if not impossible.

Im glad you've clayed the car, that is a sometimes crucial step in starting the process. Starting with a really clean car, just use a Meguiar's black pad on your buffer and either M205 or Ultimate Polish or the microfiber polish and mark off two 12 inch square or 18 inch square test areas with delicate surface tape as you've seen them do in so many YouTube videos or the Meguiar's Saturday class photos. You'll need to determine which buffer speed works best. More than likely your arm speed and downward pressure will be the same. Downward pressure will be light for sure. Check often with your light. Do different techniques in the two squares. Determine the most effective and least aggressive method and then use that method on the rest of the car. Checking often with the light. Roll the car out into the sunshine a couple of time too to see if you are pleased with the results.

Remember, a quality microfiber must be used for wipe off. A less than quality microfiber or too aggressive technique will negate your work

I prefer to use a small, soft foam pad on the buffer to machine apply liquid Ultimate Wax. Remember "thin to win" when applying Ultimate Wax. It will be difficult to see on white, so two coats, applied hours apart may be required to insure complete coverage. I usually apply one coat at the end of a day and a second the next morning.

Good luck and enjoy your "F" sport.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');