• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leveling touch up paint with Scratch X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling touch up paint with Scratch X?

I have a door ding caused my some idiot who decided to swing their door wide open in a tight shopping center lot and it looks like it took some of the paint off with it. The total area of the missing paint area/ding is like half the diameter of a pencil eraser.

Would it be a good idea to use touch up paint to repaint that small area?
    Can I use Scratch X on the touch up paint to level out that area with the rest of the paint afterwards?

How should I handle that ding without messing up the surrounding area?

I don't want it to turn out worse than it already is. Its the first ding on my new car

Touch-up work like this is very difficult to do and make look good.

As far as leveling the touch-up paint with ScratchX goes, probably not.

First, don't put on a lot of touch-up paint to start with, that way you won't have any to remove.

Second, sometimes when you start rubbing hard on touch-up paint you simply remove all of it.

I feel your pain...

After we purchased our Honda Pilot, the very first time we purchased a brand new car, shortly thereafter, we received a ding/scrap in the drivers rear fender, all the body shops want to repaint the entire half of the car to fix it the right way, the problem is, is I don't want to paint over all that perfectly good factory paint, so the ding/scrape is still there today.

You might check with a couple of PDR companies and see what they can do with it.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

What's a PDR company?... Can you suggest the name of any?

Thanks!
      #21 - Synthetic Sealant For Sale!
      Will ship internationally!
      Check the 'For Sale' section.
      Also selling #7 & Backing Plates

Comment

The dinged area is located on the back passenger door (Honda Civic), located on a pretty flat area of the panel below the door handle.

Would it be a wise idea right now for me to touch it up with touch up paint ASAP to protect it while I find the time to visit a PDR?

The area where the paint got scraped off just looks white right now.

Can I use Quik Detailer to clean off the spot first before applying the paint?

Comment

If its metallic, then any blending or sanding you do will need to be done to a clear coat applied ontop of the metallic.

If you sand metallic it becomes dull, and cant be buffed back.

I have had success on home projects breaking off a little piece of 2000 grit, the size of the tip of my finger, and circleing the touched up area, very lighty.

Comment

Hi Nyyanks81,

I may be able to help you with your chip, send me an email with the color of your car and the location of the chip. I am in NJ - touch up is what I do... my company does reconditioning for car dealers. If you are close to Edison NJ or Morristown you could swing by one of my shops.

Len House
            ProTouch Group Inc.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');