• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearcoat Scratches; Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearcoat Scratches; Need Advice

I've tried this twice now, and both times my posts have been cut short. I'm going to keep this short and to the point this time.

1) What is the best product for removing clearcoat scratches from a new truck that otherwise has excellent paint condition? I don't have a DA buffer, and I don't want to do a bunch of trial and error — I would like to get this corrected on the first attempt.

2) Could the white specs of old dried up wax that are attached to my paint be the cause of the scratches? I plan to clay these off.

3) Can I use plain distilled water as a lubricant? If not, can I clay as I wash, thereby using soapy water as a lubricant?

4) Is there anything that can get scratches out of a clear bra?

5) Is Deep Crystal soap not effective for removing a month worth of dirt and grime? I'm still trying to figure out how these scratches occurred.

Thanks.

Re: Clearcoat Scratches; Need Advice

1 > How deep, does your fingernail stop in it's track when you glide through ? If not, use Ultimate compound
    2 > Dunno
    3 > Ideally Detailing spray
    4 > I don't wear a bra, will have to ask my other half
    5 > Dunno

Comment

Bump

Comment

Mudwalker...

1) What is the best product for removing clearcoat scratches...

Without a DA, a compound and a set of microfiber towels/rags. Which compound? That's a religious question, almost. You can get Ultimate Compound in almost any store that has such things, or ScratchX if you like, but those might not be abrasive enough to cut some "defects" without a lot of wiping, and wiping is going to create "holograms". I now use Mirror Glaze M101 for those small areas. For example, last evening, I had a bump-scratch on the back bumper where I let my bike handlebar hit the paint. Oops! I put a little M101 on a rag, and with a few strokes, the scratch was gone. I also didn't create new holograms by rubbing and rubbing with a weak compound.

2) Could the white specs of old dried up wax that are attached to my paint be the cause of the scratches?...

No. Things like that might create what look like scratches, though, essentially small smears of whatever it is. Those wipe right off, while real scratches don't, of course.

3) Can I use plain distilled water as a lubricant? If not, can I clay as I wash, thereby using soapy water as a lubricant?

You need something slippery, yes. I haven't tried claying while washing, because the claying will take a very long time, and the soap will dry, water spots will form, etc. Not worth it. Just do the wash and dry, and then use a quik detailer as the "lube".

I'd think a pure polish is the way to go. The Ultimate Polish you'll find in those same stores has a bit of abrasive cleaner in it, and might possibly be too much (post a picture). My guess is a pure polish, like Detailer D302 or Deep Crystal, or M07, or others, will be the way to go, then wax.

5) Is Deep Crystal soap not effective for removing a month worth of dirt and grime? I'm still trying to figure out how these scratches occurred.

A picture is needed to know exactly what you mean by "scratches". If these are what we call "spiderwebs" or "swirls", then you are causing them by washing itself. I know that might not make sense at first, but it happens with poor soaps, dirty rags or mitts, bad drying techniques, and so on. Even if you're doing everything right, it's inevitable that some swirls will form over time from driving, regular maintenance with spray waxes, etc.

If you mean actual scratches, as in scrapes, scuffs, and gouges across the paint, those are a whole set of issues that require different techniques. Again, pictures are needed for us to help in detail.

Eventually, a DA machine is going to be essential in properly handling most of this work
        Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
        4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
        First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
          Mudwalker...

1) What is the best product for removing clearcoat scratches...

Without a DA, a compound and a set of microfiber towels/rags. Which compound? That's a religious question, almost. You can get Ultimate Compound in almost any store that has such things, or ScratchX if you like, but those might not be abrasive enough to cut some "defects" without a lot of wiping, and wiping is going to create "holograms". I now use Mirror Glaze M101 for those small areas. For example, last evening, I had a bump-scratch on the back bumper where I let my bike handlebar hit the paint. Oops! I put a little M101 on a rag, and with a few strokes, the scratch was gone. I also didn't create new holograms by rubbing and rubbing with a weak compound.

2) Could the white specs of old dried up wax that are attached to my paint be the cause of the scratches?...

No. Things like that might create what look like scratches, though, essentially small smears of whatever it is. Those wipe right off, while real scratches don't, of course.

You need something slippery, yes. I haven't tried claying while washing, because the claying will take a very long time, and the soap will dry, water spots will form, etc. Not worth it. Just do the wash and dry, and then use a quik detailer as the "lube".

I'd think a pure polish is the way to go. The Ultimate Polish you'll find in those same stores has a bit of abrasive cleaner in it, and might possibly be too much (post a picture). My guess is a pure polish, like Detailer D302 or Deep Crystal, or M07, or others, will be the way to go, then wax.

A picture is needed to know exactly what you mean by "scratches". If these are what we call "spiderwebs" or "swirls", then you are causing them by washing itself. I know that might not make sense at first, but it happens with poor soaps, dirty rags or mitts, bad drying techniques, and so on. Even if you're doing everything right, it's inevitable that some swirls will form over time from driving, regular maintenance with spray waxes, etc.

If you mean actual scratches, as in scrapes, scuffs, and gouges across the paint, those are a whole set of issues that require different techniques. Again, pictures are needed for us to help in detail.

Eventually, a DA machine is going to be essential in properly handling most of this work
          By scratches I mean light scratches that can only be seen in certain light. They don't go through the clear coat and I can barely feel them with my fingernail, if at all. Would SwirlX be sufficient to fix this? I'll try to get a pic tonight, but I don't know if it will show up.

It sounds like your saying it will be pretty much impossible to do this by hand. I don't want to spend the money on a buffer, but I also don't want holograms, so I may have to bite the bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudwalker View Post
            1) What is the best product for removing clearcoat scratches from a new truck that otherwise has excellent paint condition? I don't have a DA buffer, and I don't want to do a bunch of trial and error — I would like to get this corrected on the first attempt.
            Best is relative. I see you are doing this by hand. One can only do so much by hand. Don't be disappointed if you can't remove those defects. A dual action polisher will always yield better results than doing things by hand.

Since you are looking for products to purchase, pick up ultimate compound and ultimate polish along with some foam applicators. Also pick up some really nice microfiber towels. Avoid cheap towels as they can induce scratches.

Be sure to follow up your work with a wax or sealant (aka synthetic wax).

If the scratches can be felt with your finger nail, then they are deep. They can look better but you will not be able to remove them.

2) Could the white specs of old dried up wax that are attached to my paint be the cause of the scratches? I plan to clay these off.
            Not sure what you are referring to in terms of white specks. Wax is not an abrasive product unless it's a cleaner wax that contains abrasives. Where are these white specks located on the vehicle?

Pick up a Meguiar's clay kit. It comes with everything you need.

Check with the manufacturer of the clear bra.

This is considered an entry level soap. It does clean and is better than using dish soap. The next step up would be Gold Class. I refer you to this thread on how to properly wash.

99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

New Truck??

Embrace the DA idea and think of it as an extended warranty.

The pay off is huge

Comment

I will post a couple of pics if someone can tell me how to do it from my phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazzz View Post
                  New Truck??

Embrace the DA idea and think of it as an extended warranty.

The pay off is huge
                  Even if you get a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Just do it.
                  2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Originally posted by billddrummer View Post
                    Even if you get a cheap one from Harbor Freight. Just do it.
                    I was looking at those today. I think I'll probably get one.

Comment

Yes, you can do it all by hand, which is like saying you can walk to visit a city 100 miles away. However, not only is it a LOT of work that will drive you to tears, it is very likely you will give up in the middle, or lower your expectations, or simply not do as good a job as you hoped. It sounds like the scratches are what we call "swirls" and "spiderwebs", the circular scratches catching the light. They are very fine, yet resistant to elbow grease, and as you try to get at them by hand, other problems are created. Some spiderwebs are going to be inevitable in the real world of a daily driver, especially on dark paint, so you have to be realistic.

You might start with a cleaner-wax by hand (Meguiar's makes several) and see how well that works for you. See, since the vehicle is very new, this might be all you need for a year or so, before you lose the battle of the growing spiderwebs. During that time, you can read threads here to pick up tips, and plan how to get a DA machine. I know it seems overwhelming and expensive, but the cost is minimal compared to what you can do with it, and I recommend a Porter Cable machine with Meguiar's microfiber pads. Using a quality-built machine is the best way to regularly keep the vehicle looking brand new over many years.
                      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Go with the Meguiars Gold Class Soap....it outperforms other brands costing twice as much.....available for as low as 6.99 on WallyWorld website

Comment

I was looking at those today. I think I'll probably get one.
                          Good move. Get a 5 inch backing plate right away, please.

5.5 inch, orange and white pads, maybe a black for sealant application. Ideally 6 orange,5 white and 1 black.
                          Those are Lake Country colors, I'm not sure of the Meguiars equivalent.

Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish and you are set.

Don't forget some decent microfibers and some Megs Gold Class shampoo.

You will be happy as hell soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');