• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - used UC what did I do wrong? White dull haze on areas applied to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - used UC what did I do wrong? White dull haze on areas applied to

Hi. Newb here with first post. My daughter bought a 2nd gen Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (4 doors) and the PO had scraped the back part of the truck bed panel behind the rear wheel on something, I suspect a pole. My goal was to see if it was paint transfer and get that rubbed out. My secondary goal was the lower rocker panels on the doors are a bit faded past where the front mudflap offered protection so thought I would try address that.

After doing research on here I decided to go with ultimate compound (UC). I washed the lower rocker panel and side of the pickup bed. I then applied bug and tar remover, let it sit for about 5 minutes and then rinsed that off. I dried the areas and then applied UC with a Viking microfiber wax applicator pad. Working on the lower back of the truck bed side I used quite a bit of pressure as I was trying to see if I could remove the paint transfer. After applying it I would wipe/buff it with a clean microfiber towel. I didn't get all of it to transfer but it looked good while working on this out in my shop under the florescent lights with the deeper scratches still there but they were looking more green paint color than white.

I then decided to treat just front door lower rocker panel on the drivers side. I applied a decent amount of pressure but not as much as the back area since I wasn't trying to get paint transfer out. Rather with these rocker panels they were faded slightly from high mileage in MT where sand and chemicals are used on the roads. Things looked okay upon completion. That area has a number of pits as you can see in the picture.

Fast forward 3 or 4 days from doing that and I am seeing a white finish over both the door rocker panel and the back truck bed side where I had applied the UC to the areas that were more road worn (the area not protected by the mud flaps). You can see when looking at the door pic (attached) that the left part of the door which is immediately behind the mud flap and protected looks pretty good still, but the area where it was lightly faded before now has a white finish. When I say faded, look to the right of that rocker panel where you see the beginning of the passenger door and that is what it looked like. The original was not horrible by any means as you can see, just slight fade from the road salt/chemicals/sand wear. Now it's white. On the lower truck bed behind the rear wheels the white haze is found down low, but not up a bit higher even though I worked that area as well with the scrapes that are there.

So, what did I do wrong and how do I fix this? Not sure if I applied too much pressure, didn't wipe it off correctly or if it's some other issue with the paint down there due to the road chemicals and abuse it's seen over the years??? Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through this and offer some suggestions to address this. Pics attached.

Re: Help - used UC what did I do wrong? White dull haze on areas applied to

That looks like you might not have got all the UC off. I can see a spot on the mud flap.

I would get some Ultimate polish and go over it with a folded microfiber. They do sell microfiber applicator pads which have more bite.
    BUT I wouldn't use a lot of pressure. Lighter smoothing circles with more passes. Then lighten up even more towards the end. I would do a small spot to see what the results are to base your approach on.

You could pick up some Meguiars WhiteWax which comes with a nice 2 sided applicator. You could polish it down as a final ( after UP ) on the test spot with the White Wax and get a coat of wax as a plus.

Comment

Re: Help - used UC what did I do wrong? White dull haze on areas applied to

Originally posted by Spazzz View Post
      That looks like you might not have got all the UC off. I can see a spot on the mud flap.

I would get some Ultimate polish and go over it with a folded microfiber. They do sell microfiber applicator pads which have more bite.
      BUT I wouldn't use a lot of pressure. Lighter smoothing circles with more passes. Then lighten up even more towards the end. I would do a small spot to see what the results are to base your approach on.

You could pick up some Meguiars WhiteWax which comes with a nice 2 sided applicator. You could polish it down as a final ( after UP ) on the test spot with the White Wax and get a coat of wax as a plus.
      Thanks for the reply and ideas on how to address this. I am surprised that I might not have gotten it all off, but it certainly does look like that could be the case. After rubbing it in I didn't wait for it to dry but rather used a microfiber towel to wipe the excess off and then lightly buffed it by hand with the microfiber towel. Is there a different approach I should be taking when using UC to get it all back off? I understand it should not be left to dry like a wax.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');