• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Excessive dust with the finishing pad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive dust with the finishing pad.

Hi all. Got my PC package a month ago and was very happy with the results. I am a rotary user and It was my first time to use the PC with Meg's soft buff pads. As I was accustomed to waxing by hand, I haven't tried the finishig pad yet. Today I was trying out NXT with the PC and the beige finishing pad and lo and behold, excessive dust? came flying off the pad. It is not dried up wax since it was the first time the pad was used and it was still sealed in its plastic wrapper. Should I have primed the pad first with Last touch?

By the way the dusting happened immediately when I turned the PC on. Is this normal? I didnt seem to experience it on the the cutting and polishing pad though.

ps when waxing using the finishing pad, do we need to prime it with QD or with the wax itself?

This is not a normal occurance. If there was wax on the pad from a prior use that is possible if you don't clean it prior to using it.

I recommend with a new or used pad that you give it a light spray of Quik Detailer or Final Inspection. This will put some moisture on the pad to help reduce any dust from spinning off onto the finish. Just a couple pumps of the bottle to cover the pad area is plenty.

Regards,

Tom

Comment

Was the dust the same color as the pad?

Sometimes new pads shed some dust from the manufacturing process.

Rinse them out in a bucket of water, spin dry, they probably wont dust.

Comment

tinman2,

I had the same issue with the finishing pad last weekend. I found that when I added some more product to the pad it stopped, so I guess that I didn't have it primed properly. I will definately try the QD as a primer for the pad.

G-

Comment

Ive applied NXT with a finishing pad, and a polishing pad, never had any dust.

You dont need to work it into the paint, not anymore than you would need to by hand.

Try rinsing out the pad, spin it dry and try again.

What speeds are you guys using?

I use 3 or 4.

Comment

Hey,

Some dusting does happen from time to time with brand new pads. As Tom suggested, a light mist of #34 Final Inspection should take care of it.

I strongly suggest not spin drying any pad on a DA/orbital buffer. The forces created by the orbiting action can in some cases tear the pad apart!; I have done it personally! Or...the pad will simply fly off. If the pad lands on the ground, it must be discarded in case dirt has entered the foam.

Spin drying pads started from the rotary users who spin dry wool pads. Moreover, you can spin dry foam pads on a rotary as long as the speed is kept fairly low.

As a reminder, Meguiar's does not recommend washing their pads.

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks for the info Tim.

Dont wash the pads?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
                Thanks for the info Tim.

Dont wash the pads?
                Hi Jeff,

As I posted, Meguiar's does not recommend washing the foam buffing pads. It is suggested that a person should wipe off the pad as much as possible, and then let it dry. Once dry, if you tap the pad, a lot of the dried product will tap out of it.

With that said, I know of a lot of people that wash their pads, and have had no problems. But it is impossible to control how one person may wash a pad versus another person. This could create issues with the velcro loosening from the foam etc.

In either case, the pad should not be spun with a PC unless it is in contact with the paint.

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

This is what happened when I washed my pads.....

SRT-10 Silver

Comment

thanks for all the response guys. Just to clarify: is it ok/normal to prime the pad with last touch spray detailer when waxing?

Comment

tinman2,

Since I had the same experience that you had, I sprayed a little QD on a pad last night and went to work on my hood (after knocking the dust out of the pad and gently loosening the dried on product). I had good results and saw hardly any dust. So, I would say that it should fix your problem.

G-

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');