• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about products and procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about products and procedures

First let me say that i have been using Mequiar's products for almost 20 years. i have found that they work like you said.

i just don't get the results i want by hand.

Truck: 2003 Ram Quad Cab 1500 Hemi, Patriot Blue/Silver.

1. Power tools. What is the difference between the 9" $40.00 "RO buffers", the 6" RO Coleman type", and something like the PC 7424? i do understand that you get what you pay for.

2. Do you have an area that explains the different use of pads by machines? i am looking for stuff like: Use this type of pad with Cleaners and this type of pad with polishers and this type of pad with NXT or this type with Gold Class. b) Do you only use the machine to apply the product and take it off by hand? Or use a foam pad to apply and a microfiber bonnet to remove?

3. Do you take it off by hand and rebuff with machine to get that final look?

4. My current routine is for my truck which has some spiderwebs but other wise excellent paint are:

Wash
    Clay detailing ( have done the hood, top and bed rails)
    Step1 Cleaner/wax
    Step2 Polish
    Gold Class liquid.

I have done the steps above by hand and am not satisfied.

I was thinking with the harsh conditions in Houston that a polymer solution would be better.

Wash
    Clay (when needed)
    Step 1 Cleaner/Wax (when needed)
    Step 2 Polish (about 2 times a year)
    NXT Paste Wax

Touchup with NXT spray wax.

What is your best Advise?

Hi jsolomon4, to MOL.

Originally posted by jsolomon4

1. Power tools. What is the difference between the 9" $40.00 "RO buffers", the 6" RO Coleman type", and something like the PC 7424? i do understand that you get what you pay for.
    The PC is a rugged, powerful and precise professional tool. Common RO buffers are lightly built consumer machines. They can actually do a decent job "spreading stuff around" but they don't have the power or speed to "work a product in". In practical terms they're OK for waxes and "pure polishes" but basically useless for cleaners, cleaner/waxes and swirl removing polishes.

The other annoying thing about cheap polishers is that the pads are usually fixed. You can't change the pads for different products. You have to do it all with bonnets. They also tend to come with very poor quality bonnets.

2. Do you have an area that explains the different use of pads by machines? ...... b) Do you only use the machine to apply the product and take it off by hand? Or use a foam pad to apply and a microfiber bonnet to remove?
    Here's a link to the pad/product selector chart.

You can apply with a machine and remove by hand if you like. I prefer bonnets for removal. It's a personal choice.

3. Do you take it off by hand and rebuff with machine to get that final look?
    I think everybody does it a little differently. Again, it's personal choice. It's less work to remove by machine.

4. My current routine is for my truck which has some spiderwebs but other wise excellent paint are:

Wash
    Clay detailing ( have done the hood, top and bed rails)
    Step1 Cleaner/wax
    Step2 Polish
    Gold Class liquid.

I have done the steps above by hand and am not satisfied.

I was thinking with the harsh conditions in Houston that a polymer solution would be better.

Wash
    Clay (when needed)
    Step 1 Cleaner/Wax (when needed)
    Step 2 Polish (about 2 times a year)
    NXT Paste Wax

Touchup with NXT spray wax.
    I think either process will give excellent results on a finish that it already in good condition. You can think of these as maintenance processes.

If you need to do any restoration, removing swirls, cobwebs, etching, deep stains, etc to get the finish into good shape you'll need a more aggressive approach.

The Deep Crystal step 1 cleaner is deliberately quite mild. To remove below-surface defects you'll need to substitute a more aggressive cleaner, cleaner/polish or cleaner/wax. I'd recommend trying ScratchX by hand first. If that isn't enough it's time to go to a machine process.

PC.

Comment

Re: Questions about products and procedures

Hi jsolomon4,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

First let me say that i have been using Meguiar's products for almost 20 years. i have found that they work like you said.

i just don't get the results i want by hand.
      When it comes to working by hand... it's all about using perfect technique

Truck: 2003 Ram Quad Cab 1500 Hemi, Patriot Blue/Silver.

The traditional orbital buffers usually have too large of a pad to be effective. By the word effective, we mean... [b][i]the ability to remove small particles of paint in an effort to level or flatten out the finish.

Below are a two simple diagrams that try to explain what swirls and scratches look like from a horizontal point of view.

In order to remove swirls and scratches, you must remove a little paint. Traditional orbital buffers don't work because they oscillate too slowly and the pads are too large spreading your downward force over too large of an area to be effective especially in light of modern catalyzed clear coat finishes, which contrary to common misconception tend to be hard, not soft when compared to traditional solvent-evaporation paints like lacquers and enamels.

The dual action polisher offers a smaller pad size and higher OPM's, (Oscillations Per Minute). This is what makes this tool effective. (That and technique)

Mike
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

A couple of hundred dollars spent on keeping a $30,000. dollar investmentlooking good is worth it. As well as my personal pride in what I drive.

Today mission:

Find a PC 7424
        New head and full set of pads

Complete line of products to make my trucks finish better than it looked when I bought it.

I will upload some pics when finished.
        I will also try and capture some close up befores.

Jeff
        Signed, New but determed

Comment

Found a great deal.

Package #2 DA Polisher NXT Speed Kit
          1 Meguiar's G100 Polisher (Lifetime Warranty)
          1 Backing Plate.
          2 W8006 Foam Polishing Pad
          2 W9006 Foam Finishing Pad
          1 Meguiar's Clay Bar (Small)
          1 M8032 Speed Glaze 32 oz.
          1 G12718 NXT Tech Wax 18 oz.
          1 G13224 NXT Speed Detailer 24 oz.
          3 16 x 16 Microfiber Towels
          1 Decal
          1 Duffel Bag
          1 Banner
          Regular $331.00 Save $111.05Internet Special