• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying wax/polish - how much? drys too quick? Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying wax/polish - how much? drys too quick? Tips?

I love the look of Meguiar's - but I hate spending 3+ hours on my car. In the beginning it was fun but soon I realized that a good looking car doesn't happen in less than 2 hours.

When I apply polish or wax with a rotary buffer - I'm using a wax pad (as apposed to the terry cloth ones I remove it with). But I find the products always seem to dry or run out before I move onto the next section. For the record, its cool to the touch, but warm air (in shade or indoors..never in the sun) when I do this.

Its always goes on too thick initially and then by the time I've moved over to a new section the pad seems dry.

Should i wet the pads first with water? What is the proper amount of wax/polish you should see? Should it be heavy enough you see it? or is a very faint almost nothing look better? its getting the right amount / coverage/thickness that I'm having issues with.

How often does one stop to apply more to the pad? or should I just keep moving even though it doesn't look like its applying anything?

Tips? Tricks?
    http://users.efni.com/~twm/delsoltagline.jpg

Just to be sure because sometimes people call a tool by the wrong name,

Below is a rotary buffer,

Here is a couple of different styles of Orbital Buffers,

And here's a dual action polisher like Meguiar's G100

Now you say you're applying your polishes and waxes with a rotary buffer?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Its an orbital

I'm using a 6" orbital buffer (has only one speed - not very fast...not very slow).

And I use 3 different pads... one to apply (flat and soft/smooth)... another looks like terry cloth (to remove)...and a third (big and fluffy for polishing).

Its the application that I'm having issues with.

Comment

In my opinion, I can apply and remove any product to a car's finish faster and more effectively by hand, while using less product, (with orbitals you waste a lot of product saturating the bonnets), than I can with any orbital buffer.

Your signature line includes a link to a Del Sol? Is this what you primarily work on?

If so, once you do a good job the first time of claying the finish and using a paint cleaner, detailing sessions after this should only require apply a wax like NXT to maximize your car's finish.

Depending on where the car is parked, you may have to clay periodically and use a paint cleaner, but that all depends on the climate and environment in which you park and drive your car.

You could also switch to a cleaner/wax like Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax which surprises most people in how really well it works as it cleans, polishes and protects in one application and it creates a deep, dark clear reflective finish. (It's been around since 1973! There's a reason for this.)

Also, no matter what product you're using, thin coats are better than thick coats. Thick coats just waste product and make removal difficult.

Hope this helps...
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Re: Its an orbital

Originally posted by BeachDude
          I'm using a 6" orbital buffer (has only one speed - not very fast...not very slow).
          Glad we figured this one out before going down the wrong trail! There is a huge difference between a rotary buffer and an orbital buffer.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Application by hand, then buff???

Yeah the link is to my car (my baby). She just got a new paintjob so I've been care to wait before waxing. While I welcome the break, I miss spending hours on it.

So if I apply wax or polish by hand - should I moisten the cloth first? or saturate it with the product?

How much should I work into the paint? just a quick swipe over the paint or should I really work/rub it to ensure it "bonds" correctly? What kind of time should I spend on an area before moving to the next?

Finally - I can see the merrit in hand application - but when removing it - is a buffing it out prefered...or should I just toss out my orbital and do everything by hand?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');