• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orbital Vs. Rotary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orbital Vs. Rotary

Hello all. I noticed people have a good deal of input on these forums, and it's been quite educational.

I love to detail my car, but I will have to admit that cleaning, polishing, and waxing can become quite taxing on my arms. So, to make an attempt at rectifying this problem, I want to purchase a machine polisher, but am unsure as to whether an orbital buffer or a rotary buffer is best?

I realize they will both have their merits and drawbacks, but I wanted to post this question here to get a detailed answer from you guys. I may just end up buying both - don't know yet...

Thanks in advance!

Re: Orbital Vs. Rotary

Originally posted by TDV
    Hello all. I noticed people have a good deal of input on these forums, and it's been quite educational.

I love to detail my car, but I will have to admit that cleaning, polishing, and waxing can become quite taxing on my arms. So, to make an attempt at rectifying this problem, I want to purchase a machine polisher, but am unsure as to whether an orbital buffer or a rotary buffer is best?

I realize they will both have their merits and drawbacks, but I wanted to post this question here to get a detailed answer from you guys. I may just end up buying both - don't know yet...

Thanks in advance!
    First Welcome!

Lets see... I have a PC some call it an orbital polisher like the one below:

The PC is very easy to use for anyone. You are not going to damage your paint and you won't have any trouble getting the hang of it. Great for the do it your self type person and the pro! The down side is you will not correct the more serious paint problems. You want a qaulity PC like Meguairs G-100 or a Porter-Cable.

Now for a rotary you need a some experience in the operation to prevent any damage to the vehicle. I feel they are geared more for the pro. The rotary will correct more severe paint problems.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hey TDV

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Your question is quite common. The problem is that many do not realize the difference between a direct drive rotary and a orbital or Dual Action Polisher.

The rotary's action can create a lot of heat thereby increasing the potential to burn the paint. Where as the G100 DA Polisher is very safe. Its orbiting action prevents the pad from spinning on the same spot, thereby decreasing dramatically the amount of friction/heat being placed on the paint. Moreover, the learning curve in controlling the buffer's actions between the rotary and the G100 is quite substantial.

For the vast majority of users, the G100 is the way to go! It can do some pretty amazing things for the paint! And in time, once experience has been gained, you may want to move up to the rotary. When that time comes, you will need to practice a lot using the rotary before attempting to use it on your own car!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Ideally, a rotary buffer provides the best shine with the least amount of work but requires finesse and skills that are easier to acquire with a PC/DA/Orbital like the Meg's G-100. If you can buddy up with a pro detailer and have him show you how it's done and the correct pads and products to use, a rotary is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');