• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel paint?

We're giving my wife's 2002 Tacoma to my daughter and I am in the process of freshening it up a bit. About the silver painted factory steel wheels. They have very minor pitting showing pinhead size rust spots. Our 1992 Toyota pickup did the same thing. So far I have taken care of the problem by waxing the wheels often. No chance will that happen with my daughter in charge.

Should I repaint the wheels with silver wheel paint now or just let it go until they get worse. The reason for asking -- In the past (distant past) when I repainted wheels I had problems with the paint flaking off, even when I used a very good quality paint (rattle can) and followed thorough paint preparation procedures.

Any suggestions?

Tom

The spray can wheel paint has no durability to it at all. The best option you have is to let it go to a certain point, then have them refinished. Another option is to have the actual wheel powdercoated.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Hi Tom,

It is difficult to get the do-it-yourself wheel paint to work properly. The best bet would be to have the wheel professionally refinished. I would however NOT wait for the wheels to get worse as the repair may become extensive and very costly. Just IMHO!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');